22r with 20r head?

BIG_FAT_LOSER

This may have been discussed before....

My head is toast (22r) so while in need of a new one I am thinkiing of going with a 20r head. Am I correct that the only thing needed to put one on is a 20r intake manifold? Considering that the head is good?

By the way, anyone have a rebuildable 22r or 20r head? cheap?

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

BlueCoyote

Do not know about the 20 on a 22, but check your email for parts...
Blue Coyote

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

ntsqd

Can be done, don't know that particulars beyond what you've stated that the intake for a 20R is needed. Tim @ DOA Racing Engines has done a lot of that sort of thing and he's more or less in your area.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

gary

not sure of the details, so don't quote me, but i think i recall that some type of machining is necessary on the block at the front somewhere to accept something on the 20r head...i looked into it myself, and decided agaijst it be cause of the cost, and i didn' t want to pull out my engine...i got the info from the toyota board on off road. com a couple years ago when i posted a similar question to the rockcrawler guys...definitely ask DOA for the info though

fishd00d

What A Joke
Pat talk to Dan, thats what he has on his motor.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

partybarge_pilot

There is no machining necessary to the block or head for the 20r/22r combo. The only different thing needed is the intake manifold. The only down side is the 20r has an open combustion chamber and will lower your compression ratio. Oh yeah, in stock form it has smaller valves to. If you are going to make the swap don't just put on a stock head. Get one with oversized valves and seats.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I know some machining is required on the 85 and later "lazer" blocks. L.C. engeneering has details on their site, but do not mention the earlier blocks/heads. I called them but was on hold long distance for about 45 minutes. (I'm a cheapskate)

I was under tha asumption the 20r head offered a higher compression raito?

U.J.T.S. President.

partybarge_pilot

Nope, to get higher comp with a 20r head LC sells domed pistons. If you ever have two of the heads sitting next to each other the differance is quite noticable. 22r chambers are far superior, to bad the intake ports suck the big one. Face it the 22r high swirl intake ports are good for low end torque ( truck motor). There is no maching neede for laser blocks either, I have done both old and new blocks.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Well, since the bottom end is done It''ll be a 22r head for me, thanks for the input. I now know too much about "R" series toyota motors.....lol

U.J.T.S. President.

drtdevil93

if i were you, id go with a over size valve, and a little bit of port work, especially on the intake side. do the 45.5 intake, 37.5 mm exhaust. i have a low mile 22re head sitting in my room, but i dont think i can sell it yet. i also have a complete 2oR motor id like to sell, it doesnt run, a little beat up. but could be parted ou, and the head appears to be goodt. i just havent had the time, and its in my way now.

erik

yotatech

I have been reading about the 20r head on a 22r block. What are the advantages, why are a lot of people doing this? Thanks in advance.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Here is what I can tell you from my experience. About 2 years ago I built a 20R/22R motor for my race truck. the truck started out as an 82 so I had the good 22R block to use. The pre 83 or 84 engines have the double timing chain already and the deck height of the block is correct to use the 20R head. Also the earlier blocks use stock domed pistons, but not exactly like an aftermarket domed piston. Supposedly you get a 10:1 compression with an earlier block with the 20R head with no machining. You can mill the head to bump up the compression but at the same time you need to check your piston / valve clearance. And you also need to do that if you run larger valves and a bigger cam. I used LC's bigger stainless valves(not their biggest ones) and had my engine builder get a custom cam made. The block was built stock except for better rod bolts. The head was also ported and I matched the intake ports for the dual mikuni's.

I am guessing that combination gives the engine no more than 175hp going from an old LC catalog I have, sijce the engine is built close to one of their engine options.