• Forum membership has its advantages....

22RE motor project for baja bug

Erik Irvine

Ya that motor looks good if I feel like spending $30,000 on a motor. I need something that is a resonable price.

Erik Irvine

I am looking at spending less than $3,000 in parts.

GFC

iv herd from those that used corvaier(sp) motors, that there was a kit avilable to make them run in the correct direction so that they could bolt up to a typical bug/bus transmission. it included a reverse starter, reverse camshaft, reverse distributer, and an addapter plate. do any of you know if there is somthing liek this offered for honda 4 cylnders. i resently came upon a freebee 97 v-tech honda 4 popper and was considering it for a potentual powerplant for my project bug. i belive the company that put out the kit for the corvaiers was called Crown Ing. any help would be appreciated. oh one more thing, what do the trannys that the class 10 cars go for ?$?$

KitRacer

if its not a swing axle, you can install the transmission upside down. I dont recomend it. Also if you install the motor and transmission in midengine config it will also spin the right way. Neither way is a very good idea, but it does work

frankh

I think you can flip the ring gear assy in the box insead of mounting it up side down. but I'm sure there are some transmission guys in here that can give you the right info.

GFC

i dunno about mounting it upside down, i would think the way the oil sits in there only works properly when mounted in the traditional manner. even if someone(not me) did that, wouldnt there be no change in the direction it spins?( to me it sounds like you were joking when u threw out that advice... am i wrong?)

1992f150

GFC if you want to run that honda, might want the econo mendeola (4.5 grand) then you can just flip the r&p gear, not have to pay for/install some bizare kit, and have much better reliability, strength, and gear ratios...Sorry I do not know if a kit exsists or not, I have never heard of one. You could call one of the higher end sandrail builders they would probably know since people tend to put all sorts of different engine combos in their cars.
btw where'd you get a free motor?

KitRacer

i wasnt suggesting it, but i have heard of it being done beofre. I have seen a bus transmission w/ honda engine mounted midengine style before, it was a sandrail, and the transmission didnt last long

GFC

a buddy of mine works at a shop, the owners son was doin an engine swap and told him he could have it since he new we were workin on our project. its complete except for the wiring harness (shuldnt be difficult to find one). It would be nice to put a fresh meneola transmission in it but if i could get my hands on a used/reconditioned one..... anyone know of any for sale?

ntsqd

Um,
Hewland Mk. 6/7/8/9 transaxles use a Bug transaxle case, Upside down. Granted, nothing except the case is VW, but using that case does require that the shaft & bearing arrangement be the same as the VW. Those t/a's will live with up to 200 HP hooked to asphalt via 6"-8" road racing rubber.

I suspect that poor life of a flipped bug t/a can be traced to either improper oil level or circumstances unrelated to it being upside down.

And I can't think of a reason why you can flip an IRS but not a swing. Both should work equally well or poorly.

The reason I chose a 22RE mototr is because I am a fan of that particular motor. I have owned about 5 different toyota's with that motor and was very happy about the motor and it's reliability. I also don't want to put a motor with too much power like a v6 or anything because I know I will probably end up killing myself.I also have experience working on that motor and rebuilding if and when I would need to. As far as the drivetrain goes I was just gong to use an adapter plate and my bus box. I am on a budget
Erik - I was wondering if you might be able to help out with information or point me to where to find a simple harness for running a '84 EFI 22R in a custom build? Just want to run a few gauges (oil pressure, water temp, tach), some dash lights, ignition and starter switch, and then the mandatory ECU, fuel pump, starter, and alternator. Or simple instruction for a non-spark chaser with no Toyota experience (I've spent all my time on carburated american V8s). I ended up with this drive train because I wanted a 4 cyclinder rear wheel drive assembly.

Thanks!

Loran