• Forum membership has its advantages....

22re... what should I swap w/ the timing chain?

empire231

Re: 22re... what should I swap w/ the timing chain

what year did they start coming withthe dual row timing chain?

[ QUOTE ]
its why im building a mini truck and not a tube-chasis v8 contraption

[/ QUOTE ]

haah

farmboy

It's not when they started, it's when they stoped, 84.5.

JasonHutter

My 22re has gone over 232,000 miles with the single row timing chain although I have replaced it once when I had to do a head gasket anyway. My truck went from Colorado to Cabo in 2000, then back to La Paz in 2002, and pre-ran from Chapala to Ensanada last year and my shift point is pretty much red line anywhere I go! Our race truck on the other hand has the older block with the 20r head with all the fun stuff in it and a double row timing chain. We pretty much red line it at 6500 rpm even though the LC Engineering stuff should take about 8500 rpm. The cam we run drops off at about 6600-6700 and the bottom end is stock except we had the rods bead blasted. The engine in it right now has been there since the beginning of last season and has been great! I may be lucky with my blue pre-runner\ every day driver but I drive it like the race truck almost every day!

Jason

Bajatoy

My timing chain slipped two teeth when the plastic guide broke and went into the lower sprocket. Bent all but one valve and put some pretty big dings in the pistions. If nothing else get metal timing guides. But that is what started the snow ball effect on my engine. Oh yeah, and it happend as I was taking off from a read light in the left hand turn lane. (Not Fun)

ryanferg211

my timing chain cracked the plastic guide. Metal guides are 'mando... 2nd row would be nice but im also building my 90 22re on a budget so i think im going with single row with metal guides

tcrperformance

my timing chain cracked the plastic guide. Metal guides are 'mando... 2nd row would be nice but im also building my 90 22re on a budget so i think im going with single row with metal guides
As is a Japanese replacement timing component set such as the "OSK" brand name, as for the M/ backed guide up-grade once again beware of junk brands!