#266 SF250 Race Report

Kiwiflyer

Reaction
Pilgrim Tales (2019 SF250)
So the first Score race of the year is upon us the mighty San Felipe 250 or this year actually 350. The Pilgrim Racing #266 beast is fresh off a shock tune and prep, looking real pretty and loaded up ready to go at Midas Point Loma in San Diego. The driving team for this event will be, Kyle “The Kid” Stapish riding with Phil “LP” Casey and “Uncle” Randy Bluth riding with Scott “The Boss” Biernot. It is the Monday before the Race and our esteemed leader Scott the Boss is heading south on the 5 for a 130pm departure to begin our trek to San Felipe for the second time this year. Kyle the Kid was thrown on a Grey Hound from Phoenix (possibly a life changing experience) to complete the trio with Scott and Lp departing the Whales Vagina.
The Journey up the 8 went faultlessly with Scott towing the old girl and Lp towing the RZR’s, We all crossed the Border with no issues.
The mood was quiet and reflective as we made our way down the absolutely gorgeous Mx 5 with the Turquoise Sea of Cortez to our left and the sun low in a pastel sky, it was easy to see why Pistol loved this place so much.
The first night we were to stay in a hotel as the rest of the week we were to Share a house with the #202 Team Broughton team. We arrived in good time and spent some time debriefing with Paul and the team in the parking lot over some cold Cerveza’s while we waited for Uncle Randy and Adam “Big :O” Gruender.
Tuesday morning we set off Bright and early to pre-run - Scott, Randy and Adam headed off to the Goat trail and the second part of the race where they headed off up the summit, with drop offs brutal rocky terrain and over to Borrego where the track was super rough but really fast. Looks like the Boss is in for some technical stuff as well as flat out sand whoops.
Lp, Kyle and Paul headed off the start line and pre-run the course to race mile 130. This proved to be interesting to say the least as the big storm that ripped through lower Baja months earlier had drastically changed the Matomi wash which we were heading up hill and turned it into a rock crawling course.
Our group sat there and chatted with Cam Steele about lines and such , it was rocky, rough and tight like a tiger. Everybody was getting stuck in there including BJ, Cam and many others. We assumed this would turn into a massive bottle neck on Race day and we were right!
The only other concern was race mile 95 where there was a massive silt bed with a VCP on a super tight corner Kyle and Lp were to go and scout out the next day.
We all went out to dinner as a group, reminisced and drank and ate lot of clams at Pete’s favorite restaurant.
We all went pre-running the next day with no major dramas with the exception of Paul destroying a secondary clutch on his RZR.
On Thursday more of our crew arrived “Big Bad” Brad Ellsworth ,Louis “Maverick” Gilbert, the Ensenada based G-Fab crew and The San Diego based “Beast Jeep” boys of Mikey, John Boy and Miguel.
We had a team meeting with Uncle Randy taking charge and organized where all of our chase resource was going to be spread on race day.
Thursday night was a very, very special evening where the three Pistol themed vehicles were parked under the San Felipe Arches and at Sun down the Arches where lit up yellow in memory of the late great, Father, Husband, Mate and mentor “Pistola” Pete Sohren.
Pete’s wife Cami and Daughters Paige and Farrah as well as Pete’s son Van were all in attendance. One super family right there!
Friday was contingency day and what a fantastic Day it was, Scott and Lp headed down at about 9am in the truck and soaked up the atmosphere. The San Felipe 250 is truly a local race and arguably the best Contingency in the score series. Scott , LP and crew had a ball and would like to thank the Mexican fans for an unforgettable day.
Jen “Likes to shower with Pistol and Brad” Casey, Alex “Drink like a Kiwi” Chambers and Lauren “soon to be a Chamber” rocked up in the racing cube and completed our rather large chase crew contingency.
RACE DAY!
We woke up to a beautiful San Felipe morning not a cloud in the sky and no wind…..Bugger , LP and Kyle took off for staging with Chase team “Chicks” and chase team “Jeep”, All was going swimmingly until the Boss and Uncle Randy went to start driving to the driver change point and could not find the keys to Lp’s Chase truck….. Lp had them in his pocket. We all heard “What a Dill hole!” from above. Drama sorted when Alex put down his beer and raced back to a bemused driver team with the keys….Phew.
So we got up to the Start line and there was Cami and Farrah holding the starter flags…it is rumored Lp was a little late off the start line with some dust in his eyes. The first 6 miles went great, dust free and fast ….Then we started catching trucks …lots of Trucks the first two LP managed to get around before he started bumping (bashing) them out of the way … (the video will be out shortly you can judge for yourselves whether it was over aggressive or just right) So this trend continued for the next 50 miles, Catch hit push to pass, get ignored and bump. We went from 16th off the line to the top 5 on the road in quick succession, we had a FAST Pilgrim Racing rocket ship!. All the bumping however took its toll and if you see a Mexican smiling like a Cheshire kitten driving OJs beat up Ford Bronco running on 5 cylinders with dual alternators sporting $10,000 worth of Baja Designs pods and lights could you kindly ask for them Back. What was left of the bumper looked like it had been put through a giants curling iron. However this did not slow us down and a quick stop at Baja Pits to remove the hood and we were off to tackle the Matomi. That’s when the day started to unravel, what looks to be a tree branch took out the serpentine belt and it went a little downhill from there ….. LP (with his gammy fingers) put a new belt on incorrectly and had to do the job twice which cost us 28 minutes which is a lifetime in a race. We finally got the belt sorted and headed into the Matomi only to park up in a bottle neck for 45mins….. The only thing that got through was about 10 RZRs which we caught and passed in the next 10 miles. We were still in reasonable shape and pushed on through the wash and silt with no further issues. The only other issue was that we had no radio and could not communicate with our chase crews.
Heading to the driver change on the seal it is rumored that Lp was sweating like a Gypsy with a Mortgage worried about the bosses reaction to the munted truck. Fortunately Scott the Boss took it like the champ that he is!.
The boys got busier than a one armed brick layer in Baghdad and zip tied the truck back together. Scott the boss took over the reins and soon got stuck into his work, working his way back through the pack in rapid succession and we were looking like a very respectable top ten finish was very likely. Then fate struck like Tysons teeth on Holyfield’s ear and the third member decided to give up the ghost. This is when the best chase crew in all of the Americas kicked into gear the G-Fab boys Ripped the third member out while the Jeep lads did the ferrying from the main road to the silt wash Scott and Randy were sitting in. It was an enormous team effort to get the boys running once more. Scott the boss did a tremendous job keeping the truck together and limping the old girl to the finish line for a solid top 16 finish (39 starters). The boys managed to drive the entire race with no penalties which is outstanding. So the night did not want finish like the race and we did party to the wee hours of the morning and felt a little sorry for ourselves on Sunday.
This ended up being a fantastically fun week and Team Pilgrim Racing want to thank all of those whom travelled a long way to support us and make the week so great. Much love to all.
Big thanks to Scott and Phil’s families for allowing us to do what we do.
Big thanks to the Sponsors:
#pilgrimracing
Pilgrim Fence
Pilgrim Energy
Midas Point Loma
G-Fab
Reliable Diesel
See you @the 500
The Thirsty lizardWJrwd3cK.jpeg

MTPyle

Reaction
Great report. Thanks for taking the time.

Are you saying all the front end damage was from hitting the back of other vehicles to get them to move?

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Dang. LOL. Might suggest using siren and horn for at least one second. Just so you can say you tried to let them know you were there before you nerf the hell out of them.

Personally I would not hit people like that until I gave them a chance to move over. But that’s me.

Mike

Honda48X

Reaction
Dang. LOL. Might suggest using siren and horn for at least one second. Just so you can say you tried to let them know you were there before you nerf the hell out of them.

Personally I would not hit people like that until I gave them a chance to move over. But that’s me.

Mike
Totally agree. I hate to say it but you need to give a little time for someone to move over. I’m surprised someone didn’t put a foot into the gas after you hit them and gave you one right back.

Zambo

Reaction
I’ll get a batch of popcorn started.

Kiwiflyer

Reaction

Mike
Might I suggest you do most of your racing behind a keyboard- the Stella was being used from over 100 feet away they had plenty of time to move over

Kiwiflyer

Reaction
Totally agree. I hate to say it but you need to give a little time for someone to move over. I’m surprised someone didn’t put a foot into the gas after you hit them and gave you one right back.
Apparently you have never heard of a Stella which was been completely ignored by most , you will notice the first two moved over correctly using the Stella, as for you other suggestion we obviously you have never worked hard to catch somebody in the dust , and the couldn’t catch us if they tried,you will also notice no damage was done to other vehicles as there was no hard nerfing

MTPyle

Reaction
Kiwi flyer.

You don’t know me and I don’t know you. I know by that video that whomever was driving was way aggressive.

I have raced with Stella and have pushed hard to pass people. I personally don’t hit people like that and I use my siren and horn. That’s my choice.

You can do what you want. Go ahead and tear up your front end and be one of those guys. Looks like it worked out really well. LOL.

I see a lot of guys that are aggressive and “super fast” Parked on the side of the course. Most are there talking about all
The trucks they passed and how fast they were.

Mike

Last edited:

Kiwiflyer

Reaction
Kiwi flyer.

You don’t know me and I don’t know you. I know by that video that whomever was driving was way aggressive.

I have raced with Stella and have pushed hard to pass people. I personally don’t hit people like that and I use my siren and horn. That’s my choice.

You can do what you want. Go ahead and tear up your front end and be one of those guys. Looks like it worked out really well. LOL.

I see a lot of guys that are aggressive and “super fast” Parked on the side of the course. Most are there talking about all
The trucks they passed and how fast they were.

Mike
Didn’t see you at the finish line ??? Where were you

MTPyle

Reaction
So because I wasn’t there at that race or finish line what you did was OK? Only people that were at the race can comment on your Jackery?

Look man. In my opinion Nerfing trucks like the way the video shows isn’t cool. You can think it is and that’s your choice. You can tell yourself that that extra 30 seconds you picked up was worth it. I would disagree but you can do what you want. Great thing about racing your own truck. You can race the race you want.

Clearly you are defensive about it which tells me you know it’s not totally cool.

If that was my truck and you drive it like that it would be the last time you drove my truck. That’s my position and I can have it. You can have your position.

You put the race recap and video on here for people to comment on. If you can’t handle the feedback don’t post sh$t.

Mike

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Kiwi- How do you know their Stella is working??? Please, use Stella, horn, then soft touch then chrome horn. Not just full blast s soon as you get there.

MTPyle

Reaction
Kiwi,

Given this text in the story it seems like we were asked to Judge for ourselves. My call is the Bashing was excessive and not cool. I think others agree.

“he started bumping (bashing) them out of the way … (the video will be out shortly you can judge for yourselves whether it was over aggressive or just right)”

Mike

SMS81

Reaction
Lay off kiwi! Rob Mac, Gordon, Bebo, Menzies all finish with the fronts of their trucks looking like that.....oh wait, they don’t, because they don’t drive like d-bags! FYI a clean pass is way faster than a nerf, please learn to race for everyone’s sake, thank you.

Last edited:

Kiwiflyer

Reaction
So because I wasn’t there at that race or finish line what you did was OK? Only people that were at the race can comment on your Jackery?

Look man. In my opinion Nerfing trucks like the way the video shows isn’t cool. You can think it is and that’s your choice. You can tell yourself that that extra 30 seconds you picked up was worth it. I would disagree but you can do what you want. Great thing about racing your own truck. You can race the race you want.

Clearly you are defensive about it which tells me you know it’s not totally cool.

If that was my truck and you drive it like that it would be the last time you drove my truck. That’s my position and I can have it. You can have your position.

You put the race recap and video on here for people to comment on. If you can’t handle the feedback don’t post sh$t.

Mike
Wow you have your titties in a tangle, sorry princess I didn’t post the video, love the feed back. Not upset at all , was pushing hard to beat the bottleneck at Matomi. I
Does my Spec Truck make my penis look huge?
apparently your key board does lol peewee

MTPyle

Reaction
The stuff people will say on the internet is truly amazing. Calling someone you don’t know Princess LOL

Mike