2wd Explorer to 4wd.

DezGuy

RDC Crypto
I have a 1991 Stock 2wd Explorer. What would it take to make it 4wd? I was thinking of Fullsize 4wd beams. What about transfer case and transmission?

DezGuy

RDC Crypto
I feel like I would be up against the same thing with a 4wd Explorer. I want to use a C4 with a manual Transfer case not the electric shift. I would also need to widen the Explorer 4wd beams.

Ramsey_ElWardani said:
Sell it... buy a 4X4. Anything else is a waste of time.

Brandon_Charley

Formerly "Cracka Racing"
RDC Crypto
Probly would be easier to just buy a new one, but I did just hear that the beam mounts on a 2wd and 4wd are the same on the expo, so you may be one step closer. If you intend to go 100% custom/aftermarket with the 4wd it might be OK starting with a 2wd, but if you are gonna use a stock trans and transfer case, just buy a 4wd.

steveG

RDC Crypto
It's actually pretty easy IF you've got all the parts. I converted a 94 with parts off my wrecked 92. The basics are a transfer case, 4wd trans, drive shafts, axle pivot brackets, D35 hub to hub. If you're installing an electric shift transfer case, all the wiring is already in your car for it. You'll need the 4wd switch in the cab and the bezel around it.

If you're converting to a D44 TTB front end or installing any long travel front suspension, the entire front end including pivot brackets has to come out anyway, so you're not really adding more work there. All the D44 TTB conversion parts can be purchased in kit form now, so that's a piece of cake.

sickrick

RDC Crypto
Go for it. not much harder to fit 4x4 beams instead of equal length beams. as far as the trans/trans consider the c4 and dana 20 out of an early bronco. Thats a good setup because it comes with frt and rr bolt on yokes, and is small yet strong.

steveG

RDC Crypto
What about an older Ranger or Bronco II c-5 and t-case? I would shoot for using as many stock parts as possible (driveshafts, mounts, etc.).

sickrick

RDC Crypto
I've heard the t-case is decent but have no experience with it. The c-5 is just as good as the c4.

DezGuy

RDC Crypto
What year Bronco is this in? I was told to try and find a Explorer manual transfer case instead of the electric shift. Problem is they are rare and hard to find. This could be used along with the C4. Are there any better years of Fullsize 4x4 beams?

sickrick said:
Go for it. not much harder to fit 4x4 beams instead of equal length beams. as far as the trans/trans consider the c4 and dana 20 out of an early bronco. Thats a good setup because it comes with frt and rr bolt on yokes, and is small yet strong.

DezGuy

RDC Crypto
Yeah, I will make new pivot brackets. I am looking for a long travel 4wd front end. With a fullsize 4X front end I will not need to worry about custom axles, Hubs, etc.

Ramsey_ElWardani said:
They will not "just bolt in" if that is what you are thinking.

RDC Crypto
DezGuy said:
Yeah, I will make new pivot brackets. I am looking for a long travel 4wd front end. With a fullsize 4X front end I will not need to worry about custom axles, Hubs, etc.
It is still not that simple. You will have to change the length of the Traction Beam and axle (at least one) if you want a reasonable track width on your Exploder.

steveG said:
If you're converting to a D44 TTB front end or installing any long travel front suspension, the entire front end including pivot brackets has to come out anyway, so you're not really adding more work there. All the D44 TTB conversion parts can be purchased in kit form now, so that's a piece of cake.
I would find out what they offer, there is more engineering to it than you might imagine.

Brandon_Charley

Formerly "Cracka Racing"
RDC Crypto
Ramsey_ElWardani said:
It is still not that simple. You will have to change the length of the Traction Beam and axle (at least one) if you want a reasonable track width on your Exploder.

I would find out what they offer, there is more engineering to it than you might imagine.

From what I've read the Autofab kit uses stock D44 beams, the only thing exclusive to the ranger conversion is some clearancing so the diff housing doesn't hit the frame.

sickrick

RDC Crypto
You have to give up a little up-travel with the d44 in a ranger/explorer because of the diff.
With stocker f-150 wheels you should be looking at about 80 inches wide with 12 inch wide tires. You might want to get the f-150 rear axle also. I know you can get front fenders that wide but have you thought about what you are going to do in the rear?

steveG

RDC Crypto
Ramsey_ElWardani said:

I actually built a front end for my old Explorer using a D44 TTB a few years ago but ended up scrapping everything but the TTB because I decided to change the pivot points just enough to make all my work up to that point completely useless.

In the end, to save some time and brain cells I decided to use some of Autofab's parts as John has done all the hard design work and it allows me to bolt on a majority of the parts. I bought several of the conversion parts from him quite some time ago, but I need to finish one project before I can start on another.

I've been telling John at Autofab to build a kit for years and he's finally done it. I've kept up to date on the kit he's designed and built and saw the prototype kit installed on the truck and I can tell you first hand it's awesome.

The truck Autofab designed and installed the first kit on uses D44 conversion specific coil-buckets with a single 2.5" shock in front of the coil-bucket and has about 17" of wheel travel.

The base kit includes:
Modified axle housings (modified specifically for the conversion, reinforced and include uniball pivots)
Axle pivot brackets (specificly designed for the swap)
Radius arms
Radius arm pivot brackets
Heims
Uniballs

The base kit is capable of 21" of wheel travel with properly mounted coil-overs. Like I said earlier, with coil-buckets around 17". It uses stock axle shafts, but one does need to be modified.

Contrary to popular belief, bump travel is not an issue with the kit. The key is in the axle pivot brackets. When I set up the front end on my Explorer, it had MAYBE one inch less bump travel than the stock front end. The way Autofab built the kit it may actually have more than stock.

That's all I can remember right now. It's a well thought out kit that if purchased with coil-buckets and shock mounts is almost entirely bolt-on. I have no doubt it will perform incredibly as everthing I've bought from John has.

Last edited:

steveG

RDC Crypto
BTW, the Exporer I'll be putting together for my brother is using and F150 rear end and 33x12.50's just barely tuck under Perry's rear fenders.

The increase in front end width is almost 4" per side. It also tucks 33x12.50's almost perfectly under the glass fenders.

Josh_Bethmann

RDC Crypto
Just buy my explorer its got fully functional 4wd. You could easily put a c4 in it and be well on your way to having a nice prerunner. 11K and its yours...

Attachments

• Full copy.jpg
    Full copy.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 192