2WD Toyota From Scratch!

DEK196

Reaction
I am completely new to this forum and sport, so bear with me please. I am looking to build up a '91 2WD yota that I reposessed from my business, and I have no clue as to where to start. I have succeded in pulling off the bed and thats about it, The tubing is on the way and so is the bender and notcher. I am guessing the cage should be first but I would like to buy parts ahead of time if possible, such as shocks torsion bars etc... I know this is out of left field, but any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Donnie

singlehanded

Reaction
Id say
1. is it going to be a race car or prerunner?
2. How much is the budget
3. Are you building it yourself

Ryan B

Reaction
Do alot of research to find out what you really need. Take alot of time and talk to as many people and fab shops as possible, ask tons of questions about everything, none are stupid.

DEK196

Reaction
It's going to be mostly for fun but could turn into a race truck, i'd like to do it right the first time and gather the right parts or just flat out buy them instead of going back and changing what should have been done in the first place. I probably will buy a 2 seater 1600 or something like that if I race. I am getting out of the motorcycle scene and into the truck/buggy racing mode. Budget is not unlimited but I have been known to spend some coin, actually trying to find parts used if they are what I need. Yes I am building it myself but I have two friends who have pretty extensive truck building backgrounds, except ones getting married soon and the other is expecting a kid soon! So it'll probably be me and all of your expertise! Thanks, Donnie

cleartoy

Reaction
You have any welding\fabricating experience?

You want to make your own suspension or buy a bolt on kit?

DEK196

Reaction
I own a metal fab shop and I have some ideas, but I think I want to do coilovers all around and the three link system, I am not totally sure about terminology or applications, thats where other expertise comes in. I want to see what is the right way to go from others mistakes and triumphs. Should I pull the front fenders as well? I want to put on fiberglass all around. Or am I jumping the gun? Thanks, Donnie

cleartoy

Reaction
At your shop have you done any Toyotas?

Coilovers are the way to go in my opinion. Not a big decision on the front cuz you can run em with a arms. The back is a big decision, cuz liniking it will be some time invested.

When you say pull the front fenders, you mean the inner fenderwells right? On mine i cut the sheetmetal off in front of the firewall, and mounted everything off tubing, including fenders, hood, radiator, lights, AC condenser, you name it.

If you have the skill and means to do so, some custom made center mount Upper J arms, and lower a arms would work well with the right steering set up.

DEK196

Reaction
I definitely want to do coilvers in front, but like you said in back might have to wait. I might just go with leaf springs in the back like the other guys post before mine. I meant to completely remove the fenders and buy a fiberglass kit that includes fenders, hood and rear sides. My metal fab shop is not var related, more of construction/function/art. I have made just about everything but suspension for trucks. I actually helped a friend cut and weld his I-beam suspended E250 van and add heavier springs, it worked killer for a couple of weeks until he hit bessemer mine road at 60, not pretty! PS You can't really weld cast iron! Donnie

cleartoy

Reaction
Im running a Chaos uniball bolt on kit up front with coilovers. If you want a bolt on kit, i dont know of any other kits out there that are bolt on and are currently manufactured that can hang with this kit. There were some other kits that swung more travel and had different features, but are not currently manufactured\mass produced. If someone knows different, educate me.

If you go custom up front, possibilities are endless. Arms, equal length beams, you decide.

Out back im running 62" springs with an 18x2.5" shock and am very happy. If you have the $$ and time, a link style might be an option.

Just depends what you want to achieve.

singlehanded

Reaction
Ya, I agree that would be a great setup look at how good dan vances truck works, but he also has a small fortune under the hood. iF you dont build some j-a-arms go with the total chaos kit seems to be the best thing out there. Dont think you would need to run an 18 in the rear to pull full travel potentiol thou, clear toy are your shock almost straight up 1 to 1 ratio???

DEK196

Reaction
That sounds like exactly what I want, Have you ever seen the ATS Bolt on kit? Just read about it and was wondering. Do you have any pics. your truck sounds perfect. Thanks, Donnie
PS what kind of coilovers are you running?

drtdevil93

Reaction
do a search on this site about ATS. no one has had a good experience with them, ever. hes ripped so many people off, me included.

erik

WFODAN

Reaction
I'll second the Total Chaos front end . I currently race with it and have never had any problems what so ever . It is by far the best bolt on kit I've ever experienced . In the rear I also run a set of 62 inch Deavers ( code Red) with 16 inch 2.5 bypasses . The truck works awesome , and runs lap times to rival the class ten cars .

I'm not sure where you are , but MDRs 400 is this weekend in Lucerne . You might want to come out and check out the trucks to give yourself some idea of what works and what doesn't . If there was ever a local race to spectate , this is the one .

Dan Vance

cleartoy

Reaction
Single, yes they are nearly straight up. Could use a smaller shock if i leaned it forward, but I dont like doin that.

Dek, from what ive heard, ATS is out of buisness. That is one company i was reffering to when i said currently manufactured.

DEK196

Reaction
Dan, I live in Santa Barbara and I have a 3 week old baby so I pretty much am stuck at home. I think your setup and cleartoys are the trucks I want to pattern after.
I pulled some prices for the kits from kartek and found some differences. The basic uniball kit was cool, but the deluxe kit came with fiberglass fenders, swayaway 12"x2.5" coil overs and some other items. The price diff. is about 1500, and I wanted kings but is the price too good to pass?
So whats first fiberglass, suspension or cage?
Thanks, Donnie

Tom_Willis

Reaction
before you start flipping through catalogs click on RDC "classifieds". You might be able to sell your truck and find somebody who has what you want ready to go. AND you might help out someone who needs to sell their truck to make rent.

cleartoy

Reaction
Need to know all what your getting for 1500. Shop around for best price on coilovers.

IF you want Kings get em, cuz everytime you look at whatever you got the best deal on, you will be like damn. Also, 10s are a tight fit by the break booster\master, so i think 12s would take alot more work(buggy master) body lift.

WFODAN

Reaction
I agree tens are about it for the shocks . I don't see twelves fitting under the master . I just added a set of King 2.5 bumps on the front this week and they stick out above the hood by half an inch , and that's with the 2inch body lift ( which wasn't my idea ) . Now it looks like a Mugen car with the lighted windshiled squirters on the hood . lol .

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Dan I have $10 for every fender you take out on Saturday (not including your won though) with your rice burnin mugen yota! Make Fish post the carnage and you can collect your cash next week!