3/4ton to 1/2ton

NOODLE

Reaction
I have a 3/4 ton front staight axle out of a mid 80's chevy pu. I would like to place it in a 1/2 ton straight axle chevy pu. Is there a way to convert the 8 lug 3/4 ton axle to 6 lug to match my current pattern. I do not want to have to buy new wheels but want the bigger axle for added strength. Thanks.

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
It would be easier to strenghtn the 1/2 ton, the 3/4 will be big and heavy

Do we have a rule book? A rule book, sir?
You know, a book with rules in it.

hoeker

Reaction
some of those trucks were the same other than hub and number of lugs, did you check if any of your parts were interchangeable between the 2 axles??

if not, most of the time you can redrill the lugs in the 3/4 ton hubs, check to make sure the brakes clear your 15" rims first

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
He is getting 17"s for it.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.

hoeker

Reaction
then the brakes are no problem, just redrill the hubs

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
wouldn't that take away too much material? now you will have 12 holes in an off road hub?

Do we have a rule book? A rule book, sir?
You know, a book with rules in it.

Ryno

Reaction
You either have a dana 44 or 60 front. I'll put my $$$ on the 44. The 60 was used mainly in one tons. You can get a 6 lug hub for the 44, just call Currie, Dynagear, etc, and look in the yards. They are still around.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

K5Blazer

Reaction
If you want to convert it to 6 lug you are going to need everything from the backing plates out, except for the spindle. Find someone that is doing the opposite conversion as you and trade, many people upgrade the rear axle to 8 Lug 14 bolt Full Floater and need the front 8 Lug to match. Check out the message board on www.socalbigdawgs.com There is a guy on there that is wanting to go 8 lug in the front and would probably trade straight across with you.

toddz

Reaction
I have a 3/4 ton front staight axle out of a mid 80's chevy pu. I would like to place it in a 1/2 ton straight axle chevy pu. Is there a way to convert the 8 lug 3/4 ton axle to 6 lug to match my current pattern. I do not want to have to buy new wheels but want the bigger axle for added strength. Thanks.

Like K5Blazer said, you need everything from the knuckles out to convert over. If you have a pick-a-part near you, there should be scads of the 1/2 ton trucks in the yards to choose from. I pull parts from a lot of them here in Phoenix for early Bronco disc conversions. You can get backing plates for $8-$10 each. Check with Autozone for hub/rotor combos. They recently started selling Canadian-made units(made by a division of Dana) for an unbelievable $30 each for the 5 lug Fords and I'll bet they sell the same thing for the 6 lug Chevys too.

HTH,
Todd Z.

NOODLE

Reaction
Thanks for all of the advice. I will check into it all.

H.O.R.E.

NOODLE

Reaction
One more question. I might have the opprotunity to pick up a set of 5 17in APP wheels for $1200 bucks. Is that a good deal. Also, they are coming off a Tundra which is a 6 lug like my straight axle chevy. Should i have any problems w/ them fitting and clearing the steering etc.Thanks again.

H.O.R.E.

K5Blazer

Reaction
As long as the backspacing isnt over 4.5 inches it should fit pretty good. Another thing you might have to watch for is clearing the front axle hub.