• Forum membership has its advantages....

3 inch body shocks

Flea

i have three inch body shocks that i am going to put on the front of my F150. i was wondering where was a good place to buy coils for these shocks because they are very expensive. also are king and sway a way coilover kits were interchangeable. the shocks i have are sway a ways. who carries coils for these? and can anyone recommend what stiffness spring i should buy for an f150. thanx. also where can i get directions for rebuilding these shocks?

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and hopefully my poor truck too.

Donahoe

At this point Sway-a-way does not have instruction for the 3" shock. I would suggest finding your closes Sway-a-way dealer and ask for help. If you are in orange county I would be glad to give you a shock 101 class. You can go to www.swayaway.com</A> and get the spring rate calculations. Have fun. Shocks are good if you are good to them...

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Flea

thank you kreg,

that is a bummer that the instructions are not out. i live about forty five minutes from your shop so if its at all possible I'll take any help i can get. here is my problem. I am going to put the coilover kits on (which i have not purchased yet) but from the looks of it i'll have to take the cap of the shock off to thread these onto the body. that means i have to depressurize the shock and take the cap off. obviously i am going to need a special tool for this(i'm assuming i can get this tool from sway a way). then i need to know the propper steps for putting the shock back together without getting air pockets in the oil, and what to repressurize the shock at.

thank you for your help

how much do you charge for a shock 101 class?(nothing is as valuable as knowledge i can use forever...assuming your knowledge is valuable.jk.haha)

gary

may i say that i attended one of the donahoe 101 classes, and i have taken apart and reassembled my own shocks about 3 or 4 times since, to play with the valving, and i haven't had a shock problem yet. thanks kreg!! depressurizing requires no tools-it's like letting the air out of a tire. filling them back up requires nitrogen-that's a different story. mckenzie's charges $5 or 10 per shock to recharge, as long as they're off the vehicle. as far as threading on the coil carriers, i don't think you need to remove the end cap of the shock, but i could be wrong......good luck.....

Flea

O sorry i should have been more clear...i meant a special tool for taking the cap off the shock body, not for depressurizing the shock.

cleartoy

I believe you can put the threaded collar on from the bottom of the shock(shaft side). Just slide it up and start threading.

Thats what i can gather from lookin at my SAW 2.5s anyways.

Got Sand??

vwguy

you slip it on over the bottom and thread up

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Flea

well i need to get the coilover kit first to make sure...but from the looks of the shocks the edges on the bottom cap stick out past the threads on the shock body. so maybe i can spread the collar over this? i really hope i can, i don't want to take these apart right now.

also, how come sway a way and king shocks look almost identical? piece for piece they look like the pieces were machined by the same place. just wondering because king is very close to me and i can get their parts and service. are some parts interchangeable from them? i heard you can interchange their coilover kits. just curious

thanx for the help

Flea

well i just got off the phone with the guy at king shocks, who were very helpful and customer friendly on the phone. they said that: 1) the king shock coilover kits are interchangeable with sway away. 2)I will have to pull the shaft out to thread the coilover kit onto the shock body. 3)i don't need any special tools, just money and how to put it back together and keep air out.

so here is my question

how do i put it all back together with no air bubbles?

thanx for the help

bye