3-Link on Toyota

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Well its time to build my 3-link on my Toyota. My leafs are so beet they have nothing but negative arch. I dont feel like putting new springs in so I will just link it. Does anyone have any pictures of this setup on a Yota? Anyone have any tips? Any info would be helpfull. Hopefully I will have it done in 2-3 weeks.
Anyone know what would be a good spring rate to run with a 2.5 16" SAW?

Go Big Or Go Home

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
On springrate, I found out that it is all trial and error. I put coilovers on the front of my truck and I had to change the springs rates around about 8 times before I got the right ride height and ride. Its a pain, but not too difficult.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I know it will bump the cost up but you should look in to getting a 9 inch rear (or anything wider than stock). Not only will it be stronger but if you get one from a fullsize it will give you enough room to put the bottom trailing arms on the outside of the frame rather than under. It makes it a little easier to design that way.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Moto on 10/22/01 10:10 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
Would a 9" work with a toyota? Also, when you said fullsize, is that from like a T-100, Tundra or other Make?

Dylan

Reaction
Spring rates depend on weight and travel. Check out swayaway.com’s spring rate calc. page for formulas on calculating rates. If you have any questions you can call me there @818-700-9712
Dylan

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
The 9" rear end is a Ford 9 inch. It used to be real popular because of the strength and the availablitly of parts for it. I think the Toyotas run an 8.8 rear end...correct me if I am wrong. You can purchase an old 9" at a wrecking yard if you are going to build it up yourself. However, if you have the duckets you can have currie or some other gear joint set up a trick on for you.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

JasonHutter

Reaction
Here is a picture of a Ford 9" on our Toyota, it can be done and it isn't that hard. Ours came from a Bronco I think and was 2"s wider than stock.

Jason

Dylan

Reaction
The Toyota rear end is called an 8” but actually measures 7.8” unless it’s a Tacoma which is actually 8”. The 9” ford are really strong but there are some other rear end’s that are cool depending on how hard you plan on using it. If you have a 6 lug Toyota look into an Isuzu rodeo rear end, it’s a d44 with 4:37 gears a posi and disc brakes w/internal drum parking break.

rdc

Reaction
i just bought a Ford 9 inch off of a 1975 Lincoln Continental for my toyota, it is the widest one i could find. Only costed 150, has disc brakes and is brand new inside, got it from ecology. takes a little rigging but isnt much work to mount it to a toyota. if you are going to link it you will need to buy a new drive shaft for about 250, or modify your existing one to fit the new axle. other than that you just need to buy some new back rims to fit the 5 lug pattern. Dont build you 3-link without the 9 inch, your axle will break, and also it just doesnt work if the trailing arms are underneath the frame. hope some of this helped.

rdc

Reaction
i think it was 3.00, but i bought a genuine gear 4.56 ratio and put that in instead.

BUILD IT YOURSELF, BREAK IT YOURSELF, THEN BUILD IT YOURSELF AGAIN - PTD Off-Road Motorsports