3 link Vs 4 link pros and cons of both.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Ok, so here it is re-building a car currently has a 3 link, is it worth replacing with 4 link??
Driven both types , didn't spend enough time behind the wheel of the 4 link truck to notice any difference .

So can someone who knows explain the real differences ??
Pros and cons of both??

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Didn't know people still did 3 links...

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
If you are working within the confines of stock frame rails, a 3 link will give you more angle in the top links (as viewed from the top) vs a 4 link, resulting in more strength in side load. That single rear link joint will be under more stress than a single link joint on a 4-link so it needs to be sized and built to handle the higher loads. So 3 link can have a packaging advantage.

I don't know if there is much difference in handling between 3 and 4 link trucks, all else being equal. I've owned both and can not point to a bad handling characteristic on either.

retroblazer

Reaction
After reading your recent response on springs, the shocks that you referenced have me doubting myself on what you are running. OK Mystery Man---- we need pics !!

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
After reading your recent response on springs, the shocks that you referenced have me doubting myself on what you are running. OK Mystery Man---- we need pics !!

Putting up on the Show and tell forum shortly.. then it won't be a secret .

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Giant Geoff

Reaction
Upper links have too much stress from the side loads and that stress harms the 3 links quite often, 3 links are much harder to fab up and only has 1 joint that wears out fast, you have to weld it to the arm from coming loss and the bungs wants to rip out.

Ntm95

Reaction
Does that apply just to vertically mounted uniball bungs Geoff, or horizontally mounted as well ?