302 swap/2000 ranger

Reaction
so i got my suspension all done and the first weekend i got to take it out i hydrolocked my motor! so ive got an efi 5.0 out of an 87 crown vic ltd and im just begining to tear down and ispect before i do the swap. i also plan on using an AOD transmition. so if any one has any pointers or has some good advice, it would be greatly apreaciated! thanks in advance!

gcddarren

Reaction
make sure the wiring harness ande the brain match. we pulled our 5.0 ho out of a licoln mark 7 and put a ford racing wiring harness on it with the same brain. went to get a dyno and chip and they couldnt do it unless they match. when we had the wron brain their would be a small delay before the power hit and it would run rich. just make shure your stuff all matches.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
I would consider replacing the Crown Vic stuff with a 1990-93 Mustang harness and ECU. If you plan on racing, ditch the AOD and go with a C-6 or a well built C-4.

Reaction
this is my daily driver so it will see a lot more hwy than dirt, dont plan on racing it any time soon just to get some seat time and have fun on the weekends. i heard an aod trans would work better for me, i donno? the crown vic was free99 and didnt come with a trans or rear end, but has all the brains! so whats the advantages disadvantages of aod/c6?

MWBREWCO

Reaction
I have a AOD in my 302 ranger. It does work well for the the street and offroad, but they do run hot when you push them. I had to put two coolers in line to keep the temp down when rock crawling.

FCORR

Reaction
Why not run a 4.0L SOHC motor? More reliable, mated to a 5 speed it will be just about as fast, you won't need all the extra coolers and larger radiator, the rest of drive train won't have to be as heavy. Just something to think about....

FCORR

Reaction
Oh yeah, and since it's your DD, better fuel mileage....

Cerberus2k7

Reaction
V8>V6

:sorry:

And with an EFI 5.0 you can get pretty good MPG. Especially when you look at the 4.0s ratings.