31's or 33's for a ranger?

57Racer

Reaction
I am in the middle of a build right now and a question I should have answered awhile ago has come up again....Tire size. I was going to put a 302 in it so 33's wouldnt have been a big deal, but I would love to race BITD so it requires I stay with a 6cyl.

The truck will be in the 7200 and 1450 class. Right now it has the stock 2.9 (till I blow it up in testing the chassis) but I am looking to put a 4.0 in there to stay BITD legal. I have a bunch of 33's, but I have them sitting next the truck and they look awful big for a 6cylinder. What is everyone else running?

AzBajaman

Big Az Dad
Reaction
I'm my street legal ranger i'm running 35 inch tires..........V-6 3.0

GDRBORETIRED

Reaction
My Ranger is a prerunner/chase and street legal. I run 33's with a 2.8L/5 speed and 4.86 gears. It will run 85 on the freeway and has more.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
33" tires will be fine with a V-6, we race with 33's and a stock 4.0. It's commonplace for people to race on 35" tires.

What gear ratio do you plan on using in the rear end.

fas_guy

Reaction
Agreed... 33's are the smallest you should go especially if your gonna hit up a few races here an there, throw some taller gears in that rear and stuff the biggest tire you can get away with in those fenders

57Racer

Reaction
Well its a race dedicated race vehicle, I shouldve mentioned that. Nothing street legal or original about it anymore except the original C-channel Rails (Soon to be boxed in), and the motor (Soon to be replaced).

Gearing? not entirely sure yet, something close to 5.0 in the 9".

I guess I was looking at the difference in what was on the truck (28") and the 33's I am using for mockup (plus its easier for me to get them than 35's) and I know how much bigger tires make a truck with little power gutless. So in the tight stuff I should be ok then?

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
You will be fine.

WORCS332

Reaction
33's definitely. I got 33in baja's on my ranger. works fine

07FJRog

Reaction
Well its a race dedicated race vehicle, I shouldve mentioned that. Nothing street legal or original about it anymore except the original C-channel Rails (Soon to be boxed in), and the motor (Soon to be replaced).

Gearing? not entirely sure yet, something close to 5.0 in the 9".

I guess I was looking at the difference in what was on the truck (28") and the 33's I am using for mockup (plus its easier for me to get them than 35's) and I know how much bigger tires make a truck with little power gutless. So in the tight stuff I should be ok then?

not at Gutless as you may think, you def need to regear the rear Diff, like many have said, at least a 4.56 minimum, and prob 4.86 if you race it more than on road.

57Racer

Reaction
not at Gutless as you may think, you def need to regear the rear Diff, like many have said, at least a 4.56 minimum, and prob 4.86 if you race it more than on road.

Sweet. No road whatsoever except what may be part of the racecourse or going up and down my street for the initial shakedown, lol. Thanks for all the info, it really alleviates some of my stress in the build. Another question I, I might just start another thread but...

What is the average wheelbase people are using for 7200/1450? i know the rules for 7200 specify no wider than 85, with the 9" I have I will be around 80.

07FJRog

Reaction
not sure really, we are doing a kinda 7 open class ranger with about 124", not sure about the 1450 class 1972 Ford we are doing, I cannot remember off hand.

someone will know though, just check the V2R thread and look for the 7200 guys and ask them.

Rog

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
I think you'll find most of the 7200 class truck have a wheel base of between 120" to 125." The WB for 1450 will vary due to the large variety of vehicles racing in the class.

57Racer

Reaction
My mistake, I meant Width, not base

Wahl_7s

Reaction
I would not go any higher than 5.0 gears we ran 5.60's in our truck w/33',now we run 6.0's w 35's.Don't be scarred of the 4.0 SOHC it's a strong little motor. That's what most of the guys in 7200 are running,built a little yes, but strong!

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
i have a v8 ranger aod trans and 4.56 in a 9". personally i wouldnt go lower in a prerunner.. race truck id go 4.88

57Racer

Reaction
I am a big fan of 33x10.50 a lot guys run the wider ones, but i like the lighter weight with that diameter.
The rules say 85 so I would go 84.5 just to be safe. i have been told that it is 85 to the outermost part of the tire.
You are correct, from the widest part of the bulge on one side to other. Which doesnt make sense I think, It should be the contact patch, but what do I know.