33" tires-class 10

Steven

Reaction
33\" tires-class 10

i have bought a class 10 beam car and am wondering if anyone has tryed running 33 inch baja t/a's on the front and rear. Would this slow the car down? or turn differently? ride better? is there anyone out there running them i could contact?

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
Reaction
Re: 33\" tires-class 10

Steve.. Most "Beam" cars don't have enough clearance when the wheels are turned I think they may come in contact with your chassis ......check it, If it does giver a try out testing and see how you like it.

Start drinking till you see double and act single

bpthirteen

Reaction

I think 33's are a little big for a 10 or 12 beam car, but Ickler runs 33 x 10.5 baja's on his 12 car and he is winning.

http://www.prepbyjake.com

Attachments

• 6-52100-ickler.jpg
    6-52100-ickler.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 212

Steven

Reaction

Is this a class 10 car? i am new to the sport....sorry

Attachments

• 6-52153-DSC05955.jpg
    6-52153-DSC05955.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 195

frankh

Reaction

That is a 12 car, smaller engine and has to have a beam front end. 10 can have a-arms.

Steven

Reaction
Re: 33" tires-class 10

The motor is a type 4 but i think i am going to put a 1835 vw and race it in class 12. The more i research it my car would be more competitive in class 12.

singlehanded

Reaction

look at the number on car to tell the class.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

michael_loomis

Reaction

most fronts are 33's (or damn close) just different width's .

its a 12 but could be a 10 if so chosen to be.

bpthirteen

Reaction

Steven, I think you are making the right choice with class 12. As far as front tires go, we are running 235/85R16 fronts. They are not quite 32" tall and are a little wider then 9 ". A lot of teams run 7.50R16 fronts. They are also just under 32" tall and they are 7.5" wide. BFGoodrich makes a 33X9.50R15 that is almost 33" tall. Like I said before, Ickler runs 33X10.5R15 Baja's which is bigger than what most people run. A few teams still run 7.50R15 fronts, but those are better for 1600 cars. You will just have to try some different things and see what you like.

Steven

Reaction

A friend of mine is good friends with Jim Sthuler, who preps Icklers cars and i went over to his shop and they let us borrow 33/10.50R15 baja T/A's on 5 inch wide wheels and a set of 7.50R16 tires on 3.5 inch wide wheels to try out this weekend at plaster city. I am also going to buy a set of 235/85R16 all terrains. I guess i will see what i like best.

Steven

Reaction

what do the majority of the people in class 12 run for transmissions, my car has a mendeola 4 speed but i hear that most have mendeola 5 speeds. is 5th gear a big advantage? while i have my motor out should i have my transmission upgraded?

bpthirteen

Reaction

There is more to it then just having your transmission upgraded. The shift shaft is in a different location, so you will probably need a new shifter and shift shaft. It just depends what your car looks like now. You can still be competitive with a 4 speed, but you should find out which 4-speed you have. You can upgrade your 4-speed to current specs. Call Mendeola, Folts, or ?

Mike_Cohen

Reaction

Steven,

Is your car a single seater or two? Who does your motor? What size and make tires do you plan on running? What terrain or courses do you plan on racing on?

My immediate reccomendation would be to keep the 4 speed Mendeola in if that's what came withyour car. Changing to a 5 speed could require some serious fabrication, a new fuel cell, and quite possibly, no real advantage in many cases over the 4 speed. Remember, an extra gear means more rotating mass, power loss, etcetera.

Our car ran great with a 4 speed with high reliability and no real disadvantage to the 5 speed cars.

Good luck and welcome to Class 12. Feel free to e-mail me or call if you need any help.

Best regards,
Michael L. Cohen
Racer X Motorsports, Inc.
760-918-0777
mike@RacerXms.com

Racer X Motorsports, Inc
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RacerXms.com>www.RacerXms.com</A>

Attachments

• 6-52337-Primm5.jpg
    6-52337-Primm5.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 196

Steven

Reaction

its a 2 seater, the motor in it now is a fat. im now living in san diego so i dont want to send it up to fat or drive it up there after every race. I would like ken Major to do my motor but he is swamped. my buddy is in the process of building a 12 car so we are using that motor to race the Fud 200 this weekend. it should be a good turn out with good competition.

Mike i heard that The guy who bought your car is racing it this weekend to get used to it for the 500

Mike_Cohen

Reaction

Steven

Keep the 4 speed and get some time in the car. With regards to engine builders, George Jimenez in Anaheim does great work. It's only an hour drive and he is definitely dedicated to his customers! Give him a call at 714-535-5116.

I'm not sure what race Tom Watson and Tim Noe will be racing next. I think they are planning for the 500 and possibly the upcoming BITD race for a warm up.

Good luck next weekend. Hopefully, I'll see you out there as I'm going to go support Nick Tiederman and their 2/1600 car.

Racer X Motorsports, Inc
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RacerXms.com>www.RacerXms.com</A>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction

Who is racing the 200 this weekend? Also, what time does the race start?

Most wars are the result of compounded stupidity and those who believe it