33's or 35's for ranger

singlehanded

33\'s or 35\'s for ranger

What would be the best tire size to run on my truck? I have 33x12.5r15's right now bfg muds, but need new tires soon. Truck will be like 95 percent offroad only, so I was thinkin some bajas or mtrs.Will be racing mdr and riolto shortcourse along with trips to glamis,octillo ect. Truck is a ranger front coilovers rear deaver race pack with bypasses and it has a 4.0 motor with a c-4 trans stock 8.8 with 4.56's and auburn pro lim slip. Was planning on some 35's but would it be better to stick with some 33's?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

slimjim

Re: 33\'s or 35\'s for ranger

rangers with 35's work well, but you might rub the fronts on the fire-wall. I have seen people move the f-wall back just to fit the 35's because they really liked the bigger tire. i like 33's fine though.

put on your seatbelt...

singlehanded

was mostly thinkin is it worth the power loss since its only a stock 4.0 versus the 35's working better in whoops?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

MH20

I have 35"s on my ranger and I wouldnt even think of stepping down to 33"s. I have 4.88s and the A4LD and it does fine. In fact it is actually geared a little too low for my preference because it turns kinda high RPMs on the freeway.

Tyson

I don't think you should worry about the power so much...I'm running 35's (TOyota though) but I have a 4 cyl motor. There is a huge difference in clearance and landings with the bigger tires.

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

Jkrell

I have heard that 2wd drive rangers have spindle problems when running 35" tires. Is this true?

kjmiller1

I've heard and seen that, plus I think 35s hit the firewall unless you suspension has been moved up a little. Looks sick though

93 f150

singlehanded

Ya front end is moved forward and nothing hits ever right now bumpstops help out a lot. Anybody know if I should plate the spindles before running 35's? Or any stronger spindle that will work with the 83-88 i beams if needed.

Jkrell

the spindle snout is the problem I believe...and I pretty sure you can't plate that. as far as other spindles that work....I havn't heard of any easy swaps...maybe somebody else knows.

JeffS

Two questions:

Do 4x4 spindles have the same weakness ? I would assume not, since they are hubs...
and...
Can you move the suspension forward by just using 'longer' radius arms that push the beams more forward than stock?.. or will this mess things up?

- Jeff S.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RedRockOffroad.com>http://www.RedRockOffroad.com</A> - There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Greg

Ive run both sizes on my ranger, the 33's are all you really neead, but 35's will make you look cooler. In all reality 33's are a far better choice performance wise, i think Dan V would back me up on this statement. Its the unsprung mass that will hurt you, and you can feel the difference in power. As far as ranger spindals, i personally have never seen one break, even after that giant boulder jumped in front of jc andrrews and ripped the tire off his truck, the spindal and ball joints were fine. The issue with ranger snouts is that ford leaves very little thread for the retaining nut to engage, and uses a very thin nut too. So the wheel will pull right off the snout, especially if there is a bunch of negative caster at full bump.

Greg

Jkrell

I stand corrected...I guess I should keep my mouth shut on the ranger stuff since I'm pretty much a toyota guy.

WFODAN

I have to agree about the 33s 100% . They may not give you that cool guy look , but for performance on my old Ranger , it made it like having two trucks . I've heard all the hype about 35s working better in the whoops , but I'm here to tell you that the only thing I noticed was that the truck couldn't hold the speed with the 35s that it could with he 33s . And yes that's even changing the gear ratio to accomidate the larger tires . Not to mention all the stuff the 35s tear up on the front and rear end of the truck . The life of the bearings , seals , ball joints ,and even the steering components was cut in half with the 35s also . i say stick with the 33s and you can't go wrong . Sure it may not look as cool as a Ranger with 35s , but when you smoke his A$$ who cares ??

I had a problem with the spindle snout pulling out twice on my ranger . We fixed it by just tig welding the back side of the snout to the spindle when I got the new ones . Ford only presses them in from the factory . Tigging it did the trick .

Dan Vance

singlehanded

Thanks dan and greg hopefully I get my ranger ready to race this summer and see you on the race course dan. I going to go get my 2000 f150 today to tow it so I am pretty stoked. I ended up going with the 5.4 auto w/tow package super cab.
late,
john