350 Chevy swap

DANKFAB

I need to know what is entailed in a complete motor transmission swap into a 96 S10. I know, I know....
Why Chevy S10? Cause they need to be recognized for what they can be, as opposed to what they are stock, I know they suck stock, so no bagging please! I am serious about dropping at least a vortec v6 in there within a few years, but a 350 would be about the same price i found out, so what are the details!!! What about the electrical stuff, driveline, exhaust, dimensions if anyone has them(motor width/length, etc) Just about anything and everything for swapping a motor......

ACID_RAIN28

it all depends on what year and type of motor you want to put in there, if you want the old carberated system alll you need is a couple of wires to make it run, different driveshaft, motor mounts found in jegs, and special headers. My friends and I have done a couple of these swaps in older s10, and we had to change very little, everything pluged in even the drive shaft, we had to swap the yoke though, and the computer, but other than that it works with all the stock stuff.

As for your truck I would assume a swap of similar nature would work if you take a newer engine and put it in it should plug and play, I would do the v6 though because that would be less of a headace, and lighter. the problem with the newer chevy v8 would be all the emisisions in the right place and the right way. and if you put an older one in you would have to strip and ditch a lot of stuff. But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Ryno

Advanced Adapters. They will have a complete kit. Easiest way is going to be TBI. The motors were used from 87-95 in trucks, the 3/4 tons all had four bolt mains. 2 bolt main will work, but if you gonna beat it, a 4 bolt main is the way to go. TBI is easiest with the injection and computer, as well as to tune. You can get 400hp, and it will be useable and driveable.

Ryno

DANKFAB

I was thinking since I am in good ole Cali, and with our gracious smog laws I will need to get something pre73 so I can register as a specially constructed vehicle, that will make me smog exempt. If I go to the V6, which I can get for pretty cheap off a friend, i will still need smog but can still upgrade that motor for some good HP, and less weight like Acid said. I still gotta weigh the pros and cons of each and then decide whats better in the long run. About Advanced Adapters? Is that a complete motor and transmission, etc...Are they crate motors, or rebuilt oldies? The less computer junk I gotta worry about the better. I will check em out after i get off work tonite

Kbach66

Just because you throw in an old motor doesn't mean you can run down to the DMV and register it as a special construction vehicle. You still have 95% of your original S10 there, so it's still an S10. Search the net for the special construction laws....you'll be reading for days...I know I have and still am. I'm worried about getting my truck (95 fullsize chevy) registered as a special construction and it only has about 3 feet of the original frame, but from what quite a few people have told me, that's still enough to make it a 95 fullsize chevy.

Ryno

Advanced Adapters is just company that makes all the brackets, new mounts, etc. They DO NOT sell motors. Smog laws for such a swap a pretty simple. You can swap over a 350, but it has to be a newer year than the vehicle it's going into, with all somg equipment applicable for that model year. As long as it passes...your good to go. Getting 400hp from a late model chevy small block is relatively easy. For the motor and transmission...assuming you are going with a 350 and a 4l60e (700r4), it's probably gonna run you at least 2k. The upgrades another 2k. This includes getting the transmission to handle the power you want to put to it. So, your looking at about 6k for the swap in total.

Ryno

ESB4130

the TRUCK is what has to be older than 73 to make it smog exempt...not the motor. thats basically the whole point of the "1 year newer than the make of the vehicle" law...so people dont put big old gas guzzlers in new little trucks. so get a newer one if you can, if you have fab skills just make all your own mounts, get your driveshaft modified to fit the new transmission, and then the only hard part is the wiring...and honestly...newer wiring looks intimidating but is pretty simple. everything just plugs in where it goes. when you come to the few parts where you gotta cut and customize....just get a wiring diagram from chevy, and if you have any problems have a chevy mechanic (one of those goodwrench guys or whatever haha) tell you whats up. the bigger motors you might wanna bring back into the cab though , escpecially if you got an extra cab...then you have no escuse cuz you can still have footroom.