• Forum membership has its advantages....

351w stalls on take off

westco

I bought an 84 Bronco 60k original miles, 351w, c6, about a week ago I installed an Edelbrock cam & lifters, from idle - 5500 rpm, Edelbrock intake, Holley Truck Avenger 670 cfm carb, double roller timing chain, plugged off all the smog stuff, no vacum leaks, drove it for a few days, changed out the oil. Woke it up, not a tire shredder but def a difference, the only problem is that upon a hard takeoff from a standstill it shutsoff, if i accelerate smoothly it moves along great, again just when i step on the pedal from a stop it dies. Any input.

Moss2

Sounds like its to lean perhaps. Double check the timing and check that the timing mark on your damper is reading correctly. Jump up several jet sizes or a larger squirter to see if that makes a difference in the right direction and tune from there.

westco

Should the timing be set to stock with the alterations, tag under the hood reads "10* BTDC". THANX

Moss2

That timing should be a good place to start. Make sure you are checking/setting it with any vacuum advance removed and plugged.

PBR

does the truck avernger holley have an accelerator pump??? i had the same problems on my '77 bronco and that was it.

westco

Ken thanks, by the way i got some great pics of your bronco through Mikes @ the 500, i read another thread where 10* @ idle & 32* @ 3500 rpm i will start with that, PBR i dont know about the pump i will def check that, i also noticed that when cold it starts right away, when hot it takes a lil longer.

usually holleys are pretty good out of the box so I would pull the carb off and make sure that the accelerator pump is acutalli in there and if not send it back and get another one, that shouldnt happen at all, I hope this helps good luck

Moss2

Ken thanks, by the way i got some great pics of your bronco through Mikes @ the 500, i read another thread where 10* @ idle & 32* @ 3500 rpm i will start with that, PBR i dont know about the pump i will def check that, i also noticed that when cold it starts right away, when hot it takes a lil longer.
I would love to see any pictures you have, especially since I was driving that section.

You might pull a couple spark plugs and check the color. The fact that it starts easy cold doesn't sound lean unless the choke is on. Take a peek in the carb with the motor off and move the throttle to make sure it is squirting. Should be able to hear it too. I have had old dampers with marks up to 10deg off. Its not hard to get or make a piston stop and remark the damper. If it isn't pinging try a little more advance for a test but dont run it hard and long until you know what you really have.

I think the Avenger is a vacuum secondary right? Nothing wrong with mechanical carbs they are more responsive when tuned correctly Crazy.

westco

Yes its vac secondaries, it squirts fine with the engine running, with it off the left hand bore squirter seems a little stronger than the right, i double checked the timing it is fine, if it was timing, wouldnt it be consistently stumbling, the stumbling has happened off & on.

mudhound72

I would also dubble check the fuel pump to make sure it is keeping up, also check the float to make sure the fuel level is high enough.

westco

Is it possible that the distributor is not advancing fast enuff to keep up with hard acceleration?

I would check the fuel first if its not the accelerator pump, or the float level, and if the fuel isnt sloshing out the vent tubes into the bowls which is caused by rough terrain or high float level the send the [email protected]#$er Back and get a new one

westco

I checked the fuel level, its got a strong squirt, i havent had it over any ruff terrain, so i contacted the seller, they are sending me a new one, should be here Monday 25th