35vs37

EOR1488

Reaction
Currently have 35" tires on my 1450 truck.

Considering going to 37" wondering people's thoughts?
I'll be racing all SNORE next year. Would like to make the switch without making big changes if possible and practical.

Truck is 4500lbs race ready. 450hp, 2.5 hubs rear on 40 spline axles, 9" gear, 2.25" hubs front, 4" bypass shocks. Will the increased stress to wheel bearings and driveline be worth it or should I stay where I'm at?

Josh 8

Reaction
I like 35's.

Are you using 6 piston calipers? If your not, your stopping power is going to be lost. How does it stop now? Can you stand to loose some braking power? Plus, it is going to stress the axles and gears more.

EOR1488

Reaction
Mmmm 4 piston Wildwood all the way around 11" rotors, wildwood masters. It dosent stop that great as is.

Josh 8

Reaction
Yea. That will get worse if you go with 37". My truck stops poor too. That's one reason why I am sticking with 35" tires. The biggest issue isn't the leverage of the larger tire but the spinning mass (weight) of the tire that need to be reduced or stopped.

For these reasons, I am going to add billet 6 piston calipers to the front.

EOR1488

Reaction
What bore size is ur master cylinders and length of ur break pedal. I have good pressure to the calipers between 900 and 1300 lbs but still dosent stop worth poop compared to my old truck with had same break set up and was heavier...idk what's going on

Josh 8

Reaction
13/16 bore size on the Cnc cylinders and the pedal is 12 inches long from where it pushes on the cylinders to the end. Originally I had 3/4 cylinders to gain more pressure but the pedal bottomed out in the floor. To deal with that I stepped bore size up and notched the floor. Now the pedal doesn't bottom out but it still stops poor. The next step for me is billet 6 piston calipers in the front.

What compound pad are you using? E is the overall best. Decent grip and long wear. Did you use a more aggressive compound? It will stop better but your pad and discs go away fast if you do. An A compound will do'um in, in a few hundred miles. But it will stop. I don't recommend this.

Last edited:

retroblazer

Reaction
I've often wondered about ditching my 35" for 37", but I was concerned about issues a 1450 doesn't have like front driveline survival. I run a 15" wheel, so my brake options are limited. Going to a 37" tire means a 17' wheel with plenty of room for a 6 piston caliper. I would like to know if a hydro boosted, six piston, 13" rotor combo will out brake a standard 4 corner Wilwood 4 piston, 11" rotor on 35"s.
One more cost factor would be a gear change. I run 4.56's with my 35's, so I would think I would have to swap to 5.13's for my Dana 44 front and 9" rear.

Josh 8

Reaction
I think hydro boosted 4 puck with 11" rotors would out stop any manual set up heads down. Even a 6 piston with 13" rotors.

I have never used hydro boosted brakes other that in a stock super duty diesel.

I have contemplated hydro boosting the brakes but I don't want the extra weight or complexity. Either way I have to deal with better brakes too. My truck has a of lot go but little slow.