3714 Jeepspeed crushes UTV at Mint

One-Eyed Peter

Reaction
kinda looked intentional
I tend to agree. That move was sorry and obviously extremely dangerous. I don't know who either racer is, so looking at it objectively it seems the Jeep made a deliberate move to the left once the UTV was about to pass. The UTV was holding his line and staying well to the left the whole time. The Jeep just didn't want to get passed. I hope the UTV drivers are OK and the Jeep was DQ'd. That's not racing. That's trying to kill people.

dislocated1

Reaction
So a golf cart runs into the back of a 5000lb jeep and it is the Jeeps fault?

RDC never fails to disappoint.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Dont know how you can possibly see intent from that video. Unfortunate racing accident...yes...trying to kill someone? Sorry, just cant make that jump to conclusion.

J Prich

Reaction
These kinds of threads are the male equivalent of catty women criticizing other women for their choice of shoes.

green787

Reaction
I did that once to someone after they told us at the drivers meeting to pass only on the right.... So I moved over left right when they tried to pass me.... and it made it seem as though I was blocking the other driver.... It would have looked just like that in the video, although it was a truck in my class and caused no damage....... we shook our fisted gloves at each other.... That's the risk you take while passing full sized vehicles in a budget vehicle....

43mod

Reaction
Jeep fault for sure. Just not looking in mirror. Looked like he moved to a little smoother line and the utv got it. If I would have been making that pass my left foot would have already had 2-3 pounds of pressure on the brake pedal and been ready to move left as needed/possible. I wonder if the jeep even felt the contact.

MTPyle

Reaction
Not sure I would go right to blame the Jeep. its so hard to look back when in race mode. I move around to get different lines all the time without looking. During the Mint I almost went off course twice while looking in my mirror. When you are on the edge it only takes seconds to make a big mistake.

Its really the UTV's responsibly to make the pass clean and expect the person does not know they are there.

Mike

IRONGOOK

Reaction
A good argument for the Race Trax system and its push to pass button.

Chew369

Reaction
I know the driver/co-driver in the UTV and both are ok and did finish after another race vehicle stopped to put them back on all 4's. I do know they were on the siren for at least a mile before this incident happened. I wasn't there I just got the play by play from the driver

One-Eyed Peter

Reaction
Dont know how you can possibly see intent from that video. Unfortunate racing accident...yes...trying to kill someone? Sorry, just cant make that jump to conclusion.
Fair enough, Dave. I admit my reaction was extreme. My bad. You can’t judge intent from a video. For that matter you can’t judge intent even after sitting down the drivers involved in an incident, unless they are honest with you. So, it’s just speculation on all of our parts. But I have a little bit of a hard time thinking it was just a coincidence when the Jeep driver moved over sharply to the left at the precise moment the UTV was going to execute a pass. It was clear as day the UTV was faster so they wanted by. And moving over to block another vehicle from passing so you don’t eat their dust is not uncommon. It just sucks because they’re not even in the same class.

I’m sure the Jeep driver did not intend to hurt or kill anyone, but I think it’s more than plausible that they made a move to stay ahead of the UTV. As has been mentioned already, there is a responsibility on the approaching car to get by cleanly. Sure, the UTV could have sat behind them longer, but how long is long enough to follow when you’re faster? And how wide of a track do you need to wait to pass? Three car widths? More? As far as Racing Trax, perhaps it could have helped but only if the car in front heeds the signal. I think this incident also highlights a UTV vs. heavier vehicle issue that seems to be coming up more and more. If another Jeepspeed or bigger car/truck was trying to pass they may well have nerfed them. Not advisable nor effective in a 1500 lb. UTV.

Anyways, I completely respect your opinion. It sounds like the drivers are OK which is the most important thing here. Just sucks for them.

Honda48X

Reaction
I have had a vehicle about 15 yards behind me and barley heard their siren going. When you have a helmet on and a loud engine a siren may not be loud enough. I work in the Fire service and you have to. 1. get a good siren. 2. you have to place the speaker in the front of the vehicle hopefully in open air. 3. You can also outrun your siren. Very hard to see in this video if there was an intentional block or not.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Man, I’m glad I don’t race much anymore. Any little incident and everybody starts whining and pointing fingers at you. One eyed Peter backed off and I respect that. I’ve bumped plenty of people similar to that, although none of them rolled it. Sirens are hard to hear, many cars have no rear view due to radiators, rear cameras are hard to see. It’s not easy. Push to pass rarely works because you get phantom alerts to pull over, and nobody comes. It ain’t an easy all-safe sport. If you’re going to desert race, man up and be prepared to take some chances. poop happens out there.

J Prich

Reaction
Man, I’m glad I don’t race much anymore. Any little incident and everybody starts whining and pointing fingers at you. One eyed Peter backed off and I respect that. I’ve bumped plenty of people similar to that, although none of them rolled it. Sirens are hard to hear, many cars have no rear view due to radiators, rear cameras are hard to see. It’s not easy. Push to pass rarely works because you get phantom alerts to pull over, and nobody comes. It ain’t an easy all-safe sport. If you’re going to desert race, man up and be prepared to take some chances. poop happens out there.
Agreed. Bottom line is the only people this really matters to are the people in the Jeep and the people in the UTV.

Anger Issues

Reaction
My two cents: In our trucks with somewhat limited suspension I am constantly looking for smoother lines. With Hans devices you can't really look over your shoulder any more either. In San Felipe, for example, I'm all over the course trying to avoid the 3 foot whoops and "step-ups". I am sure I don't always check the crappy mirror and most horns are a joke againt a V8 and single chamber flowmasters. I see no reason why the Jeep would intentionally block a faster moving car obviously not in the same class. I think the jeep went for a smoother line and the UTV was not prepared to possibly get pinched off. Looks like a hard roll and glad they are ok. Just a quick thought too... I am always on my co-drivers butts watch for cars/trucks catching us... but many MANY times a faster rig appears seemingly out of nowhere and the co-dawg swears he never saw it coming... keep in mind the dust we all kick up too. Ya can't see crap back there most of the time.