• Forum membership has its advantages....

3M 5200 Sealant/Adhesive-Success?

DGruper

I’ve used this stuff on boats for years. But because it needs water/high moisture or humidity to cure properly, has anyone had any success using it for an off-road application?

isdtbower

Overview
Details

Resources
Customer Reviews
Large Volume Order

3M™ Marine Adh Sealant 5200 White, PN06500, 1/10 Gal Cartridge

View Images
  • Permanent bonding – above and below the waterline
  • Industry standard for over 50 years
  • Offers extended working time
  • Achieves handling strength in 48 hours
View all details

Product Color
SelectBlackMahoganyTanWhite
Volume (Imperial)
Select0.1 gal1 fl oz3 fl oz5 gal
9 Products Available
Available options:
Product Color and Volume (Imperial)
ASK A 3M EXPERT

Details
  • Permanent bonding – above and below the waterline
  • Industry standard for over 50 years
  • Offers extended working time
  • Achieves handling strength in 48 hours
  • Tough and flexible polyurethane polymer forms strong bonds
  • Capable of retaining strong bonds during vibration, swelling, shrinking or shock
3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 is a one-component, high-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling polyurethane for permanent bonding of wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. It cures to form a firm, rubbery, waterproof seal on joints and boat hardware, above and below the waterline. This product has been trusted throughout the marine industry for over 50 years.

3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 offers permanent adhesion to wood, gelcoat and fiberglass.

Available in many colors to meet aesthetic needs
Tough and Flexible to Form Strong Bonds
Forming watertight seals, 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 (PDF, 35.41 Kb) offers permanent adhesion to wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. In addition, our marine adhesive sealant is flexible and allows for structural movement and dissipation of stress that may be caused by vibration, swelling, shrinking or shock. Available in both cartridge and sausage packs to meet your application requirements.

Recommended Applications
  • Fiberglass deck to hull
  • Through hull fittings
  • Wood to fiberglass
  • Portholes and deck fittings
  • Motors on fiberglass transoms
  • Under moldings
  • Hull seams above and below water line
  • Deck housing
Combats Vibrations, Swelling, Shrinking and Shock
3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 is designed to meet the high demands of the marine environment, making it ideal for creating tough bonds resistant to saltwater and weathering. We formulated our sealant to provide an exceptionally strong solution for marine conditions as well as flexibility that combats vibrations, swelling, shrinking or shock. Once again, despite the barriers of a rough marine environment, 3M looked to science to provide a reliable, durable solution.

ALT

3M Manual Applicator
Designed to Endure Marine Environments
3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 (PDF, 6.73 Mb) is a part of our broad range of adhesive sealants uniquely formulated for the marine market. Designed for reliable performance, 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 is the most trusted sealant in the industry for permanent, high strength bonding.

3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 is a part of our broad range of adhesive sealants uniquely formulated for the marine market.

Choose a 3M Pneumatic Applicator for ergonomic applications
Understanding Polyurethane Sealants
Polyurethane sealants provide strong, flexible durable elastomeric bonds that seal against the elements. These sealants excel in challenging industrial, transportation and construction applications. Polyurethane sealants are available in a wide variety of Shore A hardness, open time and colors to meet many application needs. Choose a 3M Manual or Pneumatic Applicator for dispensing 3M adhesives sealant cartridges and 400ml/600ml sausage packs.

BlueCoyote

Used it in the aviation industry - specifically amphibious aircraft. Very good stuff - and it’s permanent. It will cure without being wet.

isdtbower

I was just going to start looking for an adhesive and corrosion inhibitor between sheet aluminum and billet. Or to each other. This one does not say anything about metals. Any history? I did buy some urethane gasket material for billet to billet but an adhesive or "silicone sealer" might be better. Supercars are pretty much glued together so there must be something...??

jon coleman

there is, i for got name, but we used it to bond floor aluminium to tube space frame on vintage sports car restorations, almost like a jb weld but stronger( hmmm , cant remember name , so why am i posting ??)

DGruper

I have an aluminum roof. My radio antenna has a mag base. I cut out a small piece of sheet metal and epoxied it to the roof. It had worked great until vibration or flexing eventually caused the parts to delaminate.
The epoxy had zero give or flexibility. I had a tube of 5200 still laying around and thought to try it. After 24 hours, it wasn‘t tacking up. So I laid a paper towel over it and kept it soaked with water for a day. Checked it again and the 5200 had really started setting off. The sheet metal is a permanent part of the car now, yet still has the perfect amount of flexibility between the two metals.

jeff

There are two different 5200 adhesives. I only use the FAST CURE now but 3M's version of FAST isn't exactly what I'd call fast as it still takes 24+ hours to cure. The regular 5200 (not the fast cure) takes 48 hours just to skin over and probably a week to fully cure. If you used the regular 5200 the addition of water might have helped a little but that stuff needs a week before it achieves full adhesive strength.

Hopefully you scuffed (really scuffed) and cleaned the metal first. 5200 (neither version) will stick well to a really smooth metalic surface. And it may or may not survive the heat cycles up on the roof too well. And it also doesn't really like most chemicals so careful what you spray it with.

Aloha