3rd center rear seat in a F-150.......

motoxscott

You dont see this often and people ask about it so I thought I would post some pics. I built this rear platform to mount a 3rd seat in my F-150. I have 3 standard size Super Seats in there and it's a pretty tight fit. This is only temp. until I start caging it.

-Scott

Mike_HKmtrsprts

looks nice scott Iove the beards on the old stock brown bomber!.....Mike

singlehanded

When you cage it how do you set up the bars for the front seats top belt straps and still have room for the third seats persons legs? anyone got any photos?

In_the_works

Looking at that configuration, do you think you could cram a 2 person bench seat in the back, and still have room for a cage? I have an older F1 also, and was thinking of doing something like you set up. That rear mount looks awesome BTW. Did you make custom mounts for the front seats as well?

John Bitting

Administrator
You can do a 2 person bench in the back. The bench seats are short cushions which allow for my leg room since the bottom(cushion) is shorter by about 6".

Steve_HKmtrsprts

I took measurements for a Bench. The bench is shorter from your back to your knees but then you are directly behind the front seats and it ended up looking way to uncomfrotable unless you sit sideways with your feet going though the 2 front seats. which kinda defeats the purpose unless you are using them for kids carseats then they would work fine.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
You can mount the shoulder straps off a horizontal cross tube along the back of the cab...which would actually be amount for all 3 of the harnesses.

Steve_HKmtrsprts

I have my shoulder straps along the back tube and I bought the longest straps from Crow with the extra padding and they sit a little too high on my shoulders still. I might just run a tube along the floor behind the front seats from the A-pillar tubes, out of the way of the rear persons legs and then run a tube behind my driver seat across then straight down like an L shape to the tube on the floor the length of the seat. Just a thought.

John Bitting

Administrator
That is the way to go Steve, Nestor just finished a cage in Hardins Chevy that is the cleanest cage I have ever seen. It had Sparco Seats and a 3 person bench in the back, It had the hoops going from the pillar to the floor so the back seat people could still walk through the center of the seats. Hopefully he took pics and can post them on this thread.

motoxscott

Beard built the front mounts. They used my truck for the R&D and as the proto-type version. It turned out pretty good. I can measure how much room is back there for you. I'm not sure the sizing of their bench seat though.

I've got some ideas on how I'm gonna cage it with the 3rd seat back there, but it will still be a tight fit. You're not gonna have a lot of leg and arm room back there.

-Scott

In_the_works

I'm not too worried about the comfort factor in the back, after all, I'm not going to be sitting back there! As long as I can safely fit the bench in the back, I'm good to go. Be sure to post some pics of your cage in the making, I'd love to get some design ideas for my own cage.

prpseats

um running the shoulder harness to the flore behind the seats is not a good Idea at all. when your body gets jolted forward, you are pulling that mild steel frame forward by the head rest. putting ALOT of stress on those rear tabs. when those rear tabs break off it is not going to be good, with the whole seat tilting forward into the dash. I see alot of buggy manufactures running the belts that way but when you think of it you would much rather have that bar right behind your neck.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
45 degrees is the max angle you want the shoulder belts to be angled down!!!

SpareChangeRacng

You think that's tight Scott? You should see me trying to stuff a 3rd, full-size (lowback) seat in the ranger. It fits (kinda), but it's TIGHT! Steve