3rd gear

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Ok I dunno if this has ever happened to anybody but today it happened to me. I lost all control of the clutch while gettin on the freeway going for 4th. SO there I am revvin out 3rd and I have zero pedal...none, the clutch pedal is dangling loose so I think to myself I better get home, I dont have time for this shiaat. SO I get off on the next offramp and run the stop sign..still in 3rd gear but at around 500 rpms and I am chuggin up to the next sign about 20 yards away and ahve to run that. I am in the clear now for about 2 miles unless I hit a red light and I made it the 2 miles to the next freeway and I hit a yellow about 100 yards back but I am not stoppin now and keep going...I enter the freeway to get me home and I am tapped at about 5500 still in third gear and put on the hazards as the temp is climbin to 220 and as I get numerous #1's from passerby's. I come to my exit which has a light at the bottom which is...you guessed it, RED so I go right through and make a right and get one more #1 from the guy I pulled in front of and proceed to the next light which is in my favor and keep going. The next light is a very busy street (Foothill/Route 66) and being 345PM I know I have to wait so I end up doing donuts on the cross street until it turns green and go and I think to myself only 2 more turns and I am home so I get to my house and still chuggin 3rd gear I almost pull right through the frickin garage...damn truck I think to myself as I slam the crap out of the door. Turns out my firewall has ripped due to heavy clutch foot and pushed the MC out about half inch which eventuall tore the MC shaft off of my pedal! Damn Fords and I have been worried all this time about my tire hitting the MC.

Who says sticks are hard to drive....13 miles in one gear can't be any easier

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I've had the same thing when a clutch went digger. I just shut off the motor at stop signs and restarted it in gear and carefully (right) shifted with out clutch. Made a long trip from San Diego this way....lol

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.B.S. President.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
yeah mine is hard enough to shift with the clutch...i couldnt magine not using it

Kris

martininsocal

Reaction
kritter- in the future, you can drive without the clutch, stop at all the stop signs, etc...and shift through all the gears. AND YOU NEED TO PRACTICE DOING IT IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE OFF ROAD! When you get to a stop sign/light, coast up in nuetral. stop and shut the car off. restart in in first gear(it will work, try it) match engine speed to gear speed when shifting(old crash box stuff). You can even downshift when you get real good. I have driven from the airport in Hemet to Big Bear and from Big Bear to Victorville without a clutch due to broken stuff. It is not as hard as you think. Give it a try.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

robert_encinas

Reaction
try coming home from san felipe with only first gear! my transmission locked in first gear(88 ranger w/ mitsubishi 5 speed) the whole crew pretty much had a go at it with the pry bars ,etc.
no choice but to drive to calexico and find the u-haul. that was the longest trek of my life, 5500 rpm and 35mph.

Jack

Reaction
The trick of restarting in gear wont work on trucks that have a clutch interlock that wont give power to the starter without the clutch in. I know this can be bypassed, but you should also figure this out ahead of time. Not sitting at a green light with a truck that wont start..

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Gotta love Toyota's with the "Clutch Start Cancel" button :)

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

toyoter91

Reaction
jajaja i love that button too. i have driven away while my alarm was going off. just push it and it fires right up with the horn going and the flashers flashing. stupid factory alarm.

-Rob

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Ahh, these poor kids, No idea what a crash box is. With a little deft manipulation and a lot of practice you can shift without the clutch. It's all about finess. THats why I drive an auto now so I don't ever have to do that again...... God I'm lazy.........

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
CLutch interlock went out the door a long time ago because I like to reach through the window and start my truck. The bump start method could have worked if I had a decent transmission...it is seriously hard to shift WITH the clutch and I couldnt imagine what it is like with out it...I ahve more then a few people on here who can vouge for me. It took me and Skyler yankin on the shifter WITH the clutch in to pull it out of third on the way up to Nevada 1K.

Kris

shrek

Reaction
I think it is time to make a race truck out of that thing. What engine does it have in it?? If you say the 2.8, I am gonna cry.

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

MaxDemian

Reaction
If it is a ranger, I don't know about shifting without the clutch. I have tried it MANY times to no avail in my ranger from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th, i try shift as hard as I can but it only throws it in neutral and grinds like a b*tch.

SDranger

Reaction
I can shift w/o the clutch in my 97 ranger and you could do it in my 85 too, but its pretty hard, and i can't do it between all the gears. I cant remember which ones.

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SDranger on 07/24/02 10:25 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Max,

You either have the RPM's to high or if not try giving it a little throttle and it should slide right in...

Tony
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.y-not-productions.com>www.y-not-productions.com</A>

V8Ranger

Reaction
Ranger trannies are the biggest POS of all time, I'm sure you'd grenade the darn thing the first time you tried to shift w/o the clutch.