3rd member

glamiskid395

I'm gettin close to buyin a ford 9 inch. Kartek told me something about beefing up the 3rd member somehow. How do I do this? Or is there a good 3rd member built that can take the rigors of offroad racing?
What spline axles should I get, and what gear ratio to run with a stock chevy 350 that might have a cam.

-mike

bigtex

Theres alot of options look at summit.they carry Strange third members. Their are 2 to choose from. one is 230.00 dollar which will be stronger then stock they beef up where the pinion bearing is which is very common to break. The 2nd one is 330.00 alot stronger with more "ribs" to strenghthen the whole third member. http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss264/doozman05/DSC_0144.jpg. this is why I recommend the 330.00 one. This was a stock third member all i have is a 302 with a cam. So a 350 with a cam will probly have a little more power. As far as gearing what tire size is it a racetruck daily driver......more info to help answer that. Hope this helps, I just did mine so anymore questions just let me know.

glamiskid395

thanks
it will be a prerunner/dd for the first year, too work out the bugs, and set the suspension. after that it will be a 1400 racetruck.
tire size will be 37x12.50x17 either toyos or BFGs

redline

Go with no less than 35 spline, if you can afford it get 40 but you probably will be fine with the 35s. As far as gearing 5.0 will probably be a good gear for you since you're going to be doing some DD with the truck too. Once you start actually racing it you might want to drop them down to 5.43. Gearing for racing is also relative to how much power you have. Make sure you get a nodular third member too. Strange is one of the better housings you can buy. There are some things you can cheap out on but drivetrain is not one of them

glamiskid395

thanks, will be checking that out.

mebuildit

I would call Daryl at 9 inch warehouse http://www.9inchwarehouse.com/
He has been building them for years and knows how to build them right. He can also make you a rear end housing that is straight and flat, that will withstand the abuse of the desert.

give him a call, he is easy to talk with.