4.0 v6 heads

dnic

Reaction
Is there any company making aftermarket performance heads for the 93 and up Ford 4.0 v6? If not , has anyone had any head work done on one of these motors. I know it is limited as far as what you can do to these heads. But I hate to take the time to do a rebuild on them and leave them stock.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The only aftermarket heads I ahve found are basically stock but have thicker water jackets so they do not crack which is the major problems of the heads. Changing to free flaoting rocker arms is one of the best things you can do, from there you can go to roller rockers, 300M rocker shafts and bigger valves as well as a port and polish, but for the most bang for your buck the free floating rockers is the way to go.

If you can find some big valve, custom aftermarket heads...let me knwo where to find them.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

slimjim

Reaction
mahle makes an aftermarket head for the 4.0 ohv motor. i think for the sohc too. i have also heard that world industries makes heads for the 4.0.

go to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mahle.com>www.mahle.com</A>
go to the north america link, then the downloads link, then there is a catalog in pdf format. they have some cool stuff. i don't know the specs on the heads, and i don't know anybody personally who has used the aftermarket heads, so sorry no feedback.

put on your seatbelt...

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I came up with nothing otehr then pistons, and bearings for a 4 liter on a search through the website. Please list a link to the heads.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I see no cylinder heads on there...what page number in the catalog?

Kris

slimjim

Reaction
try copying then pasting this into your browser

http://www.mahle.com/obj.nsf/479CBD429BAE04CA85256C390040EBE1/$FILE/2003-04 MAHLE CATALOG P.15-60.pdf

put on your seatbelt...

slimjim

Reaction
people are gonna think i work for mahle...try looking on page 15, section 17. part title: cylider head, mahle part numbers:20070 (1990-1994) and 20059 (1995-2000), S.A.P. part numbers:067 50 913, and 067 96 437.

put on your seatbelt...

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Got it. THanks. Doesnt list any specs...do you know if they are jsut stock replacement with a thicker surface to get rid of the cracking problem or if they are actually better flowing bigger valve heads?

Kris

Mike_Cohen

Reaction
It is really disappointing, the lack of performance parts and sparse information on these engines. Over the last few years, I have completed a lot of research on the Ford 3.0 and 4.0 OHV and OHC engines. If you plan on stepping up internal performance, don’t bother to invest any money in the original heads as they are prone to cracking. Mahle and a few other companies manufacture a heavier duty stock dimensioned head for about $250.00 each without valves, springs, or retainers. Check Ebay under Ford 4.0 also, as sometimes you can get lucky there too. The World Products head is also an aftermarket replacement but for the 2.9.

One of my customers built a hopped up 4.0 with some aftermarket heads and some mild port work and it was impressive what the results were. The downfall of such an extensive rebuild is the cost per horsepower. Expect to spend at least $4,000.00 plus for a ground up rebuild of your existing 4.0 OHV V6. You will end up with just less than 300 horsepower, but a whole truckload of torque. It is cheaper to put a stock worn out 5.0 V8 in its place but that also brings a whole basket of other problems like weight and so forth.

While the OHC 4.0 has much more power, wiring can be difficult given the different ECM versions as well as bellhousing / flywheel compatibility. There are some companies that will make a flywheel for a C4 or A4LD that bolts to the OHC engine. Kennedy Engineered Products and Advanced Adapters have both committed to making flywheel / adapters for the C4 and A4LD. However, they are not available as of yet, 2+ years and counting. In addition, be sure to replace the timing set immediately, no matter how deep or shallow your performance modifications are with a good aftermarket replacement. Ford actually recalled quite a few of them after the plastic cam sprocket would uncork.

Both engines can really sing with headwork, some additional compression (keep it under 10.5 to 1 for good high octane pump gas), Magnecor or Nology plug wires, BBK or Edelbrock Throttle Body, aftermarket Mass Air Sensor, Borla or JBA headers, Comp Cam camshaft, modified chip (preferably programmed by a chassis dyno facility after the build), increased matched injectors with high volume fuel pump, and a free flowing large K&N or UMP Super Filter. The free floating rockers Kritter mentioned are also very important. Harland Sharp and Probe Industries make them but I cannot recall their cost.

If transplanting a V8 into your Ranger or Explorer is not an option and you have some money to do the job right, the Ford V6 powerplant can definitely give you some fun and many miles of reliable service.

If anyone has any questions or needs some assistance, please feel free to call or e-mail me. I would be glad to share my research with anyone interested.

Good luck!
Michael Cohen

Racer X Motorsports, Inc
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RacerXms.com>www.RacerXms.com</A>