4.0l ford v6 ohc.

griffin #11

Reaction
i got a 4.0l ohv and ohc motor for my ranger. im thinking of building up the ohc motor with a throttle body chip possibly intake manifold and mabe if god sends a turbo from the heavens ill put that on..any suggestions for this motor? thanks for your help

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
The stock head gaskets, head studs and pistons in the SOHC don't take kindly to forced induction applications. It can be done, but you would have to spend the money to build up the engine to handle the boost pressures.

Is this truck going to be street legal or an OHV? If this is a street legal daily driver, then I would have the ECM re-programmed and install some CA legal headers.

If it's going to see dirt only, then look to get the heads re-worked and install new camshafts.

By the way, what's a thottle body chip?

griffin #11

Reaction
its an ohc dirt only truck. and i didnt put a comma between those..a bigger throttle body for more air and a chip...basically the thing u plug into the computer to mess with the engine like ignition mapping and throttle response...basically all electrical stuff that has to do with the motor

griffin #11

Reaction
and yeah id have that ohc motor torn apart and freshened up with felpro gaskets and arp bolts and blah

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Don't mess with a chip, Have Juan from FiberwerX re-map the ECM for you.

Wahl_7s

Reaction
o ok whers he located? and how much hp and torque gains can i get?
San Diego call him 619-843-9819 sometimes he's hard to get ahold of but tell him what you expect to do with the truck ie pump gas or race gas, race, street, combo. numbers are funny but considerably higher than stock! Like an oldtimer told me once you never win a race on a dyno

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
o ok whers he located? and how much hp and torque gains can i get?
What are your expectations for this engine? How much HP do you want? Re-programming the ECM is NOT going to give you a huge increase in either horsepower or torque. What it will do is increase the RPM limits, reconfigure the ignition timing and turn off any unneeded sensor inputs including PATS. It will improve the performance by fixing any unwanted hesitation or stumbling in the higher RPM range.

If you want to increase HP in an N/A engine, then focus your attention on the cylinder heads and camshafts, that's where you are going to make substantial gains. In other threads, you have said you are new to off road racing, If I were you I would keep the engine fairly stock until your capabilities and experience allow you are able to benefit from a higher HP motor. The biggest improvements in your truck will initially come from suspension tuning, not horsepower. Once you are able to consistently drive your truck to it's limits with a stock engine, then you should consider ways to increase HP.

griffin #11

Reaction
Yeah that's what I'm goanna do for a few months..but meanwhile I'm goanna be rebuilding the other ohc motor until I'm ready for more power. It currently has the ohv motor which has been dyno tuned at 212 hp to the rear wheels

Wahl_7s

Reaction
What are your expectations for this engine? How much HP do you want? Re-programming the ECM is NOT going to give you a huge increase in either horsepower or torque. What it will do is increase the RPM limits, reconfigure the ignition timing and turn off any unneeded sensor inputs including PATS. It will improve the performance by fixing any unwanted hesitation or stumbling in the higher RPM range.

If you want to increase HP in an N/A engine, then focus your attention on the cylinder heads and camshafts, that's where you are going to make substantial gains. In other threads, you have said you are new to off road racing, If I were you I would keep the engine fairly stock until your capabilities and experience allow you are able to benefit from a higher HP motor. The biggest improvements in your truck will initially come from suspension tuning, not horsepower. Once you are able to consistently drive your truck to it's limits with a stock engine, then you should consider ways to increase HP.
X2... I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the power and revs a SOHC motor has once you reflash the computer!! And why are you rebuilding it? Unless it is blowd up or something, put it in the truck and spend your money on parts!!!!!:D

griffin #11

Reaction
well i wanna rebuild it so it can handle a turbo...its not goanna be no 102mm turbo, but i think a small one will do the job. i cant do superchargers because ther out of my budget. and plus this prob wont get started till next year or untill im ready for more power

Captain Air Time

Reaction
An awful lot of Mustang guys are having success with forced induction on stock SOHC motors. Maybe the '05 up are better than the earlier Rangers? Keep in mind that any retard can blow up a perfectly good motor with ignorance. That said, I haven't forced mine yet, but I will, and without any internal changes ;)

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
i have a spare block ill sell you when the rods decide its time to jump ship. let me know.