4.3L Chevrolet

Motorider

Reaction
I have been searching the net but I am coming up empty. I am looking for a 4.3L Chevy Aluminum block engine. I am really looking for a crate motor, but will take anything now. I think they just started making them aluminum in 2000 or so, if anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks in advance

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i am pretty sure they make one but its ALOT of money. i talked to my friends dad who is a service manager at a GMC dealer and he said a few off road teams use it and it was some insane amount of money for some reason im thinking the number he told me was 10G. call up the dealer im sure they can get it for you or point you in some kinda direction.

Gregg

KitRacer

Reaction
I was told by an engine builder that it would be $40,000 for a complete aluminum engine

Motorider

Reaction
I think that the 10K sounds about right. I can't really see it being 40k unless it is something really special. You can buy a twin turbo LS6 motor with computer ready to drop in for 19K. I am looking for a motor that is reliable, and readily has parts available. Since the 4.3 is really the 5.7 with two cylinders chopped off, almost all the parts are interchangeable. I was looking on the GM parts last night, and it shows the Alum block is 100lbs lighter than the cast iron. Bringing the motor wieght down to 320lbs. I think if you added the alum vortech heads, it would be right at 300, which would be reliable and light. I am planning on putting this motor in a couple of sand rails, so if anyone has any other suggestions? I have also thought about the LS1, all aluminum, but any others, that aren't exotics?

jeff

Reaction
And don't forget the "shortstar" - light with plenty of pep.

Aloha

FABRICATOR

Reaction
The LS1 is a better way to go than the 4.3 motor. There are several in the unlimited buggy classes and they are very light weight. They are well under $10K and come with nearly EVERYTHING. There is no all aluminum 4.3 crate motor. A 4.3 will cost you a fortune and may leave you wanting for more. If you want to get a lot of power, you may need the splayed valve heads and this gets very expensive.

Ryno

Reaction
The V6 Chevy Aluminum block is used by a bunch of sand drag guys I know. They run them on alcohol, with 8-71's. They spent about 30k for those, and they aren't the most reliable thing around. I would agree that a crate LS-1 is a better way to go, or call Rancho Chevy Recycling in Rancho Cordova (Sacramento Area). I'm assuming your putting this in the predator frame your building. The LS-1 is much easier to get the parts for, and is readily availible. For the hop up parts, I would check out Lingenfelter or SLP. Also check out Arizona Speed and Marine. If you really wanted the HP without spending a fortune, go get a 5.3 (327) truck motor, and slap a whipple on it.

JeffS

Reaction
ok Jeff, I'll bite... what's a "shortstar" ?

jeff

Reaction
It's a nickname for a 3.5L DOHC motor that's a smaller brother in the Northstar family. It's an all aluminum block with aluminum heads and makes for a pretty good package because of a good power to weight ratio. It's a V6 but it's got a 90-degree cylinder layout like a regular V8 instead of the 60-degree layout on most V6's. Because of this it's got a long stroke to keep the torque up. It's not just a Northstar with two cylinders cut off the back though, it's a purpose built V6 with lots of potential. It's not really a high winding motor because it's got a pretty long stroke, but bottom end is really good and if you don't need to turn a bazillion RPM it's a nice little option to a fullsize V8.

Aloha

Motorider

Reaction
Ryno, this motor is actually not going in the predator, but another buggy, but what you said still applies. What I was trying to do, was find an affordable v6 that put out good power without having to use forced induction. Does anyone know about the Honda V6's, most of the guys that I know running them, turbo them and are running race gas. I am trying to keep away from the race gas just for cost reasons.

Ryno

Reaction
If that's what your looking to do...then my vote would be Subaru, and slap a turbo on it. I have heard nothing but good things about this...back it up with a Mendeola. I'm not against the 4.3, but the aluminum motor is some serious $$$, and you can get alot more bang per buck reliably elsewhere.

jeff

Reaction
I second the Subaru motor idea. With a revised fuel/air/ignition/boost map the Subaru is capable of some pretty good numbers. And if it doesn't have to be SMOG legal you can get even more out of it. It's pretty small, lays low, can make 250-HP all day on pump gas with hardly any mods and it'll wind out to a respectable 7000 and can do it all day long. I beat my wifes Subaru and it hasn't even so much as leaked one drop of oil. Pretty nice little motors and if I was building a buggy I'd really consider running one. The only downside is the low end torque is a little on the low side and you've got to keep the revs up beyond 2500 to make any noticable power. From 500-2500 RPM it's a dog and then at 2600 RPM the boost comes on and away you go. I can lay all-wheel rubber on dry pavement so the power is there to accelerate but you've got to abuse the clutch to find it. In the sand on a 2wd car I bet it's a pretty good package for the $$$$.$$ spent.

Aloha

tedmales

Reaction
if you can get to the pomona swap meet, they had ls-1 used for $1500 out of wrecked cars. thats harness and all. thats a deal for the power.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
There are a couple of good articles in the latest Sand Sports Magazine. They do a dyno test on a 2.2 Subaru with a kick ass turbo. They end up producing a grip load of hp (something like 640 at the wheels, my mag is at home so don't quote me) and running up to 25 lbs of boost reliably. Insane. The Acura V-6 is popular among duners as well. I drove one earlier this year that was turboed (with a switch to control boost 8lbs or 12 lbs) and it had over 600 poines. The motor was in a four seat Suspensions Ulimited buggy. However, I don't know the $ of those Acura motors.

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
Correction to my previous post. The Subi motor was a 2.5 and the turbo was pushing 27 lbs of boost to get 469 hp at the rear wheels.