4.6 "cammer" motor

pgarfinkle

Reaction
Has anyone dropped one of these motors into a Ranger? I know a lot of people have put the old 5.0 motors in Rangers but I am curious about the 4.6. I am pretty sure it is a wider motor. And I am not interested in the one out of the F150, I am referring to the one out of the Mustang GT.

Thanks.

Captain Air Time

Reaction
Yes, its been done. Actually might have been an Explorer, but same same. search the Explorer and Ranger sites, it'll turn up. TIGHT squeeze! end up with a funky steering shaft, although the A-arm trucks use a pretty kinked setup already to reach the rack.

Make it worth while, and go for an all aluminum one, for sure!

pgarfinkle

Reaction
Thanks. I will check out those sites. And the aluminum one is the one I am after. :D

pgarfinkle

Reaction
Thanks for the link!

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Can it be done, yes. Is it worth it? not really. The size difference between the 5.0L and the 4.6L DOHC is huge. I only know of one person who successfully installed a 4.6 DOHC into a Ranger and it took him over two years to accomplish it. (I tried to find a link to his thread on the RangerPowersports website but the link is dead.) All the accessories attached to the firewall and fenderwells needed to be moved. The motor, transmission and radiator mounts needed to be custom made. Wiring, steering, exhaust and engine mounted accessories were one-off or needed to be re-located.

It's a can of worms. It would be easier to simply cut off the stock frame at the firewall and start over than try to build around the existing frame and suspension.

Ford SVT did a one-off V-8 prototype about five years ago, even they went with a F-150 Lightning
5.4L SOHC w/ a supercharger because the DOHC heads were so big. I've done a 5.0L conversion in a Ranger before and it's cake compared to trying to cram one of these monstrosities into that engine compartment.

Using the link provided above as a refernece, the guy got as far as getting the engine into the truck and starting to fab up his exhaust, after that, nothing. I'm not doubting you skill or motivation, it can be done. You're just starting down a long lonely road full of headaches and profanities. If want to do a V-8 conversion, stick with the 5.0L.

Attachments

pgarfinkle

Reaction
Thanks for the insight DS. That is pretty much what I thought from the get go as I have done the 5.0 swap before. I have a guy that has both the motor and Ranger and wanted me to "marry" the two. I told him there were easier ways to accomplish the same thing but that I would also do some research for him to see what is involved. Based off what you guys posted here and what I have found out via other channels I now have a pretty good idea of the time and effort involved. I think after I quote the customer, he will go with the 5.0 and find a different place for the 4.6.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
I have a guy that has both the motor and Ranger and wanted me to "marry" the two.
Tell him that swap will be like a Vegas wedding, he's drunk with the possibilites of having that engine in the truck, then the next morning reality sets in and he'll be looking to get a quick annulment.

dezertdude

Reaction
ya also its one thing to do that swap in a street truck.....try building an engine cage, bumpstop and shock mounts around that thing. 5.0 is the only way to go imo.

ibismojo

Reaction
Ford SVT did a one-off V-8 prototype about five years ago, even they went with a F-150 Lightning
5.4L SOHC w/ a supercharger because the DOHC heads were so big. I've done a 5.0L conversion in a Ranger before and it's cake compared to trying to cram one of these monstrosities into that engine compartment.

Using the link provided above as a refernece, the guy got as far as getting the engine into the truck and starting to fab up his exhaust, after that, nothing.
The Lightning swap is not an easier swap then the 4.6 DOHC, fitment wise. The Lightning engine is just as wide as the 4.6 and infinitely taller because of the top entry blower. If you tried swapping in the 5.4 into your ranger, you're gonna have the supercharger sticking out of the hood if you don't make serious adjustments to the K member which SVT did when they put that engine into the Ranger.

As for the link...he did finish it and it runs. http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164909

The 5.0 would probably be the simpler solution for a V8.