4 bar rear suspension, frame end, lower link

Ron_Burgandy

The lower frame end mounting point on my 4 bar rear end is 4 inches below my frame. When i was modeling it up I felt I got the best travel this way with what i thought was good anti-squat numbers. I also obsessed over driveline movement. Now that I have mocked it up in real life I am concerned that this point will become a boat anchor, and will dig into the ground over bumps.
Here is a video of the model I made.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-wWzgrbcs"]YouTube - 4bar2[/ame]

I will add pictures of the real thing tonight.

What do you guys think is an exceptable distance below the frame for link mounting.

Motiracer38

What type of vehicle, how big of tires, and what's your desired ride height? I have my lower mount about there running 35s with a solid axle up front, so my uptravel is severly limited. If you are looking to scrape frame at full bump, then yes it's a little low. Plenty of 1450 type trucks have the front mount below the frame, check Total Chaos' website for Dan Vance Toyota pics as an example. It's definately not 4 inches below the frame tho.

Brice

that will absolutely be a boat anchor. unless you run 40's and run a plate/bellypan between the front/rear lower link mounts

WannaB-class5

Yeah thats no bueno. I've seen link mounts just below the frame dig some craters when landing! And are you really in Ok0boji? I have a good friend from there!

atomicjoe23

Looks like a ditch digger to me. . .

. . .can i hook that up to my mule???

Just kidding on the mule part. . .IIRC when I looked at your drawing it looked like you had your axle side lower trailing arm mounts below the axle. . .if you moved them to point straight out from the axle you could move your frame side mounts up the same amount (probably almost 3"). . .then you only need to increase the height of your upper link mounts the same amount and you won't have affected your geometry. . .theoretically anyway.

Ron_Burgandy

And are you really in Ok0boji? I have a good friend from there!
Yep! Its a small slice of heaven in the summer!

Did some reconfiguring last night, extended my lower link and brought it closer to the frame. Don't know why I didn't do that in the first place, I just get stubborn some times. Now its about just as low as the transmission cross member.

Attachments