4 link basically done, complications/fuel cell ?s

geoff

So we finished welding everything, got everyuthing on the truck and when we cycled it, it turned out that the coils on my coilovers were gonna hit the frame rails (that we so carefully pie cut and stripped) so today we cut the rails off and started the backhalf.

Now, to anyone building a toy, if you dont want to backhalf, and want to build a 4 link correctly, dont both, its not gonna happen. Stick with leaf springs.

Secondly as far as building a fuel cell what are you guys using, off the shelf summit cells? They seem like they would work fine, but i wasnt sure of the advatange of them vs a fabricated box with a fuelsafe cell.

the crossmember on the toyota frame proved to be very very useful in mounting everything off of, affter abotu 50 lbs of material was used to plate it triangulate it and then some. also im using a t100 axle and that thing is beefy as HELL. geiser hooked me up with the heims and gave some advice which only confirmed that we were doing stuff in the ring direction. wheelbase got 1.5" longer from the t100 axle and priceshaft plung is around 1/2" for 28" of travel with 55" lower links and i forget the upper link length, its too late.

anyway, the point of this post... what are you guys usin for fuel cells? external fuel pump btw. street legal would be cool but not really necessary. thanks

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

redline

the jaz cells work fine but the foam has less longevity than fuel safes. for the money i think the fuel safe enduro cells are nice. they are a lil more than a jaz but worth it. as far as building you own box and having fuel safe make a bladder for you, you have to decide if you want to build your cage around the cell or build you cell to go with you cage.

havahockey

Flipper
I agree, I got the Fuel Safe Enduro model over the Jaz because of quality of the work. Also I liked how my cell comes with a 5 year warranty and the Jaz have none. I also heard Fuel Safe just came out with cheaper fuel cell that is around $300 and comes with a 2 year warranty.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

Curtis Guise

Administrator
I had a Toyota race truck that I just sold this year. I built it about 8 years ago starting out with a very low budget. So I bought a 22 gal cell from Summit. (not sure what your budget is) It worked fine through many years of racing and still worked when I sold the truck. I used a Holley fuel pump from Summit that was about $120. But that was for a truck with dual carbs. if you have injection you need a higher pressure pump. I need to find one for my T100 that I am building that has a supercharger on it.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Fuel Safe now has a "Economy Cell" and it is about $300 with a case and everything. Upto 32 Gal.

Go Big Or Go Home

John Bitting

Administrator
Geoff. I am also in the market to buy a fuel cell and I am buying a fuel safe for sure. I have not looked into the economy cell but I was sold on the enduro. The only difference between it and a pro that is twice is much is the bladder. Also dont buy from Summit. Support the off-road community. Call Baja Concepts and buy one from them. They have great prices.

Baja Concepts Inc.
1040 South Main St.
Fallbrook, CA 92028
Voice:
(760) 723-2117

SANDlessNSeattle

rock solid user name
OR Mckenzie's----(714) 441-1212

Start drinking till you see double and act single

curt

The first truck had a Fuel Safe, the next 2 trucks have been Jaz, I haven't noticed any useful differences and we run about a dozen times a year. You can buy direct from Jaz, info's on the web. Fuel pump, our 1st 2 trucks we canabalized the stock tanks and the fuel cells to mount the factory pumps, worked all right but wouldn't pick up all the way to the bottom, about 2" short, so I recommend the bosch pump from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lcengineering.com>www.lcengineering.com</A>, its bank at about $250 but the pressure is there and it works well. The only thing I don't like on the smaller(cheaper) one is its a hose clamp connection that I've been worried about for a couple of years where as the bigger one is AN fittings for a positive connection.

How about posting some pics on the 4-link, I'm really interested in some more ideas.....

Curt

VORRA Class 7

geoff

yeah i definately should support the small shops, im gonna go with a jaz tho i couldnt find a fuel safe for under 480, and this trucks supposed to be the "cheap" thing haha, the racecar has been getting the back seat =)

anyway ill get you some pics, it came out really well overall tho im really happy with it. I have a full list of all the tabs i used (saved a TON of time) from aa-mfg.com and ill probably have a decent writeup about the whole thing. im ogna get the jaz 32 gal. 33" 17" 14" for $184.00

some thief stole my cam but ill get another from a buddy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by John_Bitting on 04/15/03 08:21 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

fishd00d

What A Joke
Ok you know that price of $184.00 is NOT including a case....thats just for the plastic bladder part. Which IS NOT race legal at all.

I can order you the Fuel Safe Economy Cell if you want give me a call at work (760) 723-2117

Go Big Or Go Home

curt

Fish is right you do need the can around the bladder, though I really don't remember paying that much... Kartek has the econo fuel safe cell <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kartek.com/products/all/fuel/fuel.htm>http://www.kartek.com/products/all/fuel/fuel.htm</A> at the bottom of the page for $329.00. Curt

VORRA Class 7

geoff

i was planing on just building an aluminum box but damn for 319 ill jump on that. are you at work now fish, or where do you work? Im in AZ tho so shipping may not be the easiest thing...

thanks alot tho that is definately the way to go.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

jwfab1

Summit also has a 22 gallon fuel cell. It looks simular to the fuel safe and it's $191.95.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-290113>http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-290113</A>

Jason

fishd00d

What A Joke
Geoff I work from 9-5 Tomorrow so call me then and i'll help ya out. Just ask for Austin. We can just drop ship it to you.

Go Big Or Go Home

ntsqd

Re: 4 link basically done, complications/fuel cell

Fuel Pump:

The connections can be a little wonky depending on the exact application, but Ford uses an external EFI pump on some of the their various vehicles. I was told by an SVO dude (dates the info) that the pump used on Merkur XR4Ti's will support a hot SEFI 5.0 Rustang engine. So I went and pulled one at a JY to look it over. The one I got says Bosch right on it. It comes bundled in a nice rubber mounted bracket that surrounds both the pump and the filter. Nothing like having stock parts (off something) for if/when one fails 30 miles south of San Ignacio.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

1992f150

Any other cars that would be common at a junkyard to steal the fuel pump off of? This would be for a stock carb'd vw 4banger.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

geoff

well a great vehicle for efi stuff on a 4 cyl would be youre f150 =) early 90s late 80s had a nice external fuel pump.

i beleive the older chevy broncos and blazers had good electric carb fuel pumps tho

geoff

thanks austin

just wanted to say thanks again, glad to be able to order it thru baja concepts!

i forgot to ask, does it come with the aluminum can? thanks!

havahockey

Flipper
Re: thanks austin

The aluminum can is extra. If you don't order the aluminum can you'll get it in the red steel.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."