4 link or 2 link?

Titanium

Reaction
So im investing into buying another truck and have decided that it about time to go all out on my 90 f150. Currently i have Camburgs bent beams up front with Bilstein shocks and bigger springs and i have Deaver leafs in the back and have terrible axle wrap. Now the reason im so blinded about this situation is because I live in KANSAS. I know everybody asks me why i would build a pre-runner when i live in kansas. Well i hate lift kits and i like to be different than everybody else around here. I dont want to look like the average farmer with a suburban with a 6 inch body lift and stock size tires lol. Anyways What do you guys think i should do? Im new to the sport and dont know to much. Trying to learn the basics. I'm a good welder and decent mechanic so i figure this is a good sport to get into. Now im going to begin building a bed cage here within the next couple weeks. And i came across the idea of building a 2 link or a 4 link for the truck. I'd rather go 4 link and do it right the first time but im not sure what coil overs, etc... to run. What do you guys think? This is also going to spend alot of time at the dunes so i want to build something i can beat on and air out quite a bit.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
If I were you, I would keep the leaf springs and install anti-wrap bars similar to what Autofab sells. The link shows the kit is for a Bronco but I'm sure it will work for an F-150.

http://www.autofab.com/16rear1.htm

You can get good performance out of a leaf spring suspension if you set the truck up with some quality shocks. As you gain some knowlege and experience, then consider converting your truck over to a four link.

Attachments

steveG

Reaction
Since you've already got good leaves, I vote for a 2-link. I have the Autofab kit on my Bronco and it hooks up like mad. Zero axle-wrap and it compliments the front very well.

lowdownndirty

Reaction
Ill 2nd steve, I have the autofab kit on my ranger. think drag car meets the dirt as for hooking up and no wheel hop what so ever. in the dirt or on the street, even with a locker trying to find some wheel hop.

only down fall I have found so far, is you find out how crappy factory motor/transmission mounts really are :D

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Id be happy to help you out in the shocks/ valving department when you get to that point. Are you planning on going up through the bed or keeping the shocks layed over?

Random Thoughts Racing

Reaction
Under the bed = decreasing efficiency of the shock (without a bypass type shock with appropriate layout).

Through the bed = efficient shock configuration

If you decide to keep the leaf springs, order a longer than needed coilover and run it without the hardware and spring. That way if you go 4 link and coilover later you will have the coilover shock already. Better than buying a smooth body IMO. If you are planning a bypass initially do the same thing, order longer than you need if you are going to 4 link later.

im planning on coming up through the bed. i've heard thats the best way to do it?:confused:

Titanium

Reaction
Under the bed = decreasing efficiency of the shock (without a bypass type shock with appropriate layout).

Through the bed = efficient shock configuration

If you decide to keep the leaf springs, order a longer than needed coilover and run it without the hardware and spring. That way if you go 4 link and coilover later you will have the coilover shock already. Better than buying a smooth body IMO. If you are planning a bypass initially do the same thing, order longer than you need if you are going to 4 link later.
What kind of coil-overs would you suggest? Also what kind of bypass shocks would you suggest? Why is it that being under the bed makes the shock so much more unreliable?

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Reaction
Not unreliable, inefficient.

A shock functions most efficiently when it's set up at a 1:1 motion ratio. In other words, the shock shaft travels 1" for every inch of wheel travel. As you angle the shock forward or back, it changes the motion ratio. If you don't make any adjustments to the valving, the shock is not as efficient. Outside of building a cantilever system to mount the shocks under the bed, it's easier to simply mount the shocks through the bed of the truck.

This is just a basic explanation and I'm by no means an expert. I'm sure others on here can give a more detailed description.