42..going back to school for a new career...welding...

Fifty

Reaction
I used to run superfeet before i discovered Ecco boots. Sadly Ecco does not make steel toe...

Bert is my name

Reaction
Matco makes what's called a fabricator glove. Probably not going to cut it safety wise for school but I like them better than tig gloves. They do not have the gauntlet style cuff. They are a Velcro closure. Ton of sensitivity and dexterity. I've had no problems with burns while using them.

Bert is my name

Reaction
Mig welding will kill them though. The h.f. tig gloves have held up fine for me and the cost is so low that I don't care if they burn up or get lost

Bert is my name

Reaction
Mill rights make stupid money. It's like a jack of all trades kind of deal. Welding,machining,electrical hydraulics. Those guys do it all.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Prevailing wage in TX is a joke, avoid working there if your a welder. Fortunately the company that I work for pays there regular rate when on the road in TX. Otherwise I wouldn't go there.

Fifty

Reaction
The union here is not terribly hard to get into. It’s very much a clique though.
The stick guys doing pipes and thick steel make bank.
The indoor guys are making half as much.

I’m just hoping to get some fab work here and there. I’m so broken I can’t do construction, pipeline type stuff.

As for my hood and inside glass glare from overhead lighting, I bought a cheap piece of leather and cut it. Got some industrial Velcro and made a head covering. If the Velcro doesn’t hold. Ill glue or rivet it. So far those Velcro seems legit.

Fifty

Reaction
Right now I wish I was inside even with the pay cut.

Hotel hand towel and some duct tape has worked for me in the past.

Lol, I wish I could use cheap common sense fixes. But being in school everything has to be over safe and over protective and over done...

Attachments

• C687BDA2-9B0E-4159-8CD1-6F51D3FE1A19.jpeg
    C687BDA2-9B0E-4159-8CD1-6F51D3FE1A19.jpeg
    629.7 KB · Views: 78
  • E6A7D92B-B328-4CD2-A505-7261CC66FD2C.jpeg
    E6A7D92B-B328-4CD2-A505-7261CC66FD2C.jpeg
    670.5 KB · Views: 81

Dave_G

Reaction
Im 42... almost 4 years ago, I had a bullet taken out of me. That wasnt the bad part. The surgery to fix things was worse than the injury. Anyways, I was medically retired, had to learn to walk again, have too much metal in me.

Im bored out of my mind and the pension is a joke. Tons of med bills every month. So instead of going down the drain I thought I'd polish up a skill, and get a job that has a lot of openings and pays a good wage. Not to mention it can lend a hand to the hobby that I can then better pay for. (I had been paying for the toys through cashed out Vaca time and "F#@& it, woes me" not so smart financial decisions)

I was given a list of gear that I need to invest in for the school, and am out shopping. Quality gear is everything, safe gear is key. I am looking for opinions on a welding coat and hood.

I was recommended a caiman boarhide coat and a speedglas 9100 hood. Neither are cheap, but the next two years in school, arc, mig tig and then hopefully into a job. Ive already been offered two jobs for to start in 6 months and I havent even started the classes.

Thank you to any of you guys that are welding day in and day out that can offer up opinions. Ill take any gucci gear advice you can give.

(Im in for a set of boots too, but thats personal fitment. So far after trying keen, danner and wolverine the winners are timberland titans, but Im going to try some thorgoods and redwings monday.)

Don't do it! Take my advise and get yourself a good government job and move on. And I'm not kidding!!!!!

Fifty

Reaction
Don't do it! Take my advise and get yourself a good government job and move on. And I'm not kidding!!!!!
Another govt job... ugh... I can barely make it through a class at school!!! 40 hrs with a bunch of left wing water bags and I’d go insane!

Definitely the get paid more for doing nothing is a perk in govt admin work... but I just don’t know if that is something I could handle very long. The golden handcuffs and vacation schedule would have to be very nice.