4Runner Rear Suspension

Dillon

Reaction
I just wanted to get an opinion on the rear suspension of rear coil sprung suspensions on earlier 4Runners (89-95, maybe the same type of rear setup on current models, I have no idea). I know the rockcrawling guys get about 15" or more travel stock out of the rear, with Downey coils, up to 19" of travel. Now my question is, thats alot of travel to compliment a long travel front end (Total Chaos, not yet, but I'm just getting ideas right now), how durable is the rear suspension setup on the rear of a 4Runner? What would you beef up? Would you stick to the stock-style suspension or convert to leaf springs? Now this isn't for racing, just if I was gonna do this, it would be for just a fun piss around in the desert and sand type of truck with nice amounts of travel and occasional accidental jumping :)

Thanks

Dillon

ntsqd

Reaction
There are some issues with control arm mounting points and lengths as I recall, and the trac rod tends to tear it's frame anchor off in addition to being really short. Look at the articles Gieger wrote on ORC, I think there is some coverage of the problems he encountered there. It's crawler oriented stuff, but they're hard on equipment too.

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

toyoter91

Reaction
hey whats up i thought you were getting an older pick up?? thinkin abiout a 4runner now hehe. hope you find a new (used) older truck soon and get it done i want to see it hehe laters

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"