4runner rear susupension

christian

RDC Crypto
Recently,

I purchased camburg coil overs for my 98 4runner. They work great and are the perfect setup for the front suspesion. However, for the back I have called many manufacturers and asked around for what kind of setup I can get in the back to match the front?

I have been referred to the ome, downey, and performance product suspension. All these are great coils for 4x4 offroading. However, I have a 2 wheel drive SUV and I won't be 4wheeling anytime soon. So I am recently faced with this dillemma of figuering out what kind of setup to use in the back so I can pretty much prerun my 4runner and take it of mild jumps not 4x4 offroad.

Please help!

geoff

RDC Crypto
i just picked up a 4 runner today actually. i looked under it and the only thing i think worth oding is cutting all that crap off and putting some deavers under the axle.

Tim

RDC Crypto
Website
www.dirtsunrise.com
I'd rather have the existing 4runner rear susp. Its not long travel, but its a four link that some 4runner owners have put a nice coilover and gotten repsectable travel. Hopefully someone who has done it will post.
What year are we talking about 96-02?

geoff

RDC Crypto
mine is a 94. the rear susp feels extremely "roll-ish" if that makes sense. It has so much more body roll than my old 88 with leaf springs did.

id be interested to see some coil over setups from anyone who has one tho

it seems that if you lifted the truck much you instant center would be very high, and the extremely short upper links would get pretty bad angle.

Tim

RDC Crypto
Website
www.dirtsunrise.com
I dont know 94's much. Are they leaf spring?
Yah, pretty much lifting is always a bad idea unless you need to clear a little bit more tire. I would just try putting a bilstien 5100 on there. It should make it feel a bit like its got some suspension with a little higher spring rate under it. Plus its a cheap fix.

jesusgatos

RDC Crypto
Website
www.trailslesstraveled.com
The OME components are a surprisingly good match for any of the bolt-in replacements coil-overs. We're using their coils and shocks on Sean's 4Runner and it even takes small jumps pretty well. I've cycled the rear suspension and you could get about 12" of good wheel-travel by building a simple shock hoop and running coil-overs mounted off the axle. The geometry is pretty good and the arc of the panhard bar is totally acceptable through that range of travel. I would probably build the shock hoop to accommodate at least 14-16" coil-overs though, because I could see eventually replacing the suspension linkage with longer triangulated 4-link, but that's just me.

geoff

RDC Crypto
JESSE_at_TLT said:
We're using their coils and shocks on Sean's 4Runner and it even takes small jumps pretty well. I've cycled the rear suspension and you could get about 12" of good wheel-travel by building a simple shock hoop and running coil-overs mounted off the axle.

i played with the truck this past weekend and im definately going to keep the OEM 4 link

the only question i have is whetehr to ditch the coil setup and go with a set of coilovers, or to just use the stock shock mounting points and put a set of 7100 short body 12" travel shocks in there...

Jerry Zaiden

RDC Crypto
Website
www.camburgEngineering.com
Re: 4runner rear suspension

You have a few choices.

1st get a set of rear springs. Downey, old man emu, etc...

Then either mount a short (Swayaway or Bilstein weld top) 2.5" or 2" shock under the sheet metal. Or mount a 2.5" coilover through the floor and into a cage structure.

Under bed mounting of a 2.0 FOX res shock will allow maximum wheel travel unless you go through the floor.
4.jpg

Through the floor coilovers.
Rear.jpg

Rear_shocks.jpg

geoff

RDC Crypto
Re: 4runner rear suspension

Hey Jerry, thanks for the response

what length shock have you used that stays under the bed? Id rather not go into the cabin on this one.

I was thinking a bilstein 7100 12" short body shock (using a 10" body) or maybe a 10" short body (in the 8" body). I havent measured anything, just put the truck on the lift to change the oil and started thinking about it. If you have a fox shock you would recommend, im all ears.

also, have you had any probelms with any of the link mounts tearing off of the axle or the links themselves failing? Thanks!! its hard to find anyone with experience beating on a 4 runner

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
On my 1990 I kept ripping the upper link mounts off the axle housing while pre-running. I fabbed some gussets that stopped the breakage but I eventually went with Chevy 64" springs and ran the shocks into the cab. Much better, much more reliable.

deavermike

RDC Crypto
total chaos now offers a rear suspension kit for the gen 3 4runners and icon vehicle dynamics has a rear 2.5 piggy back shock now for the gen 3 4runners if this info is any help to you thats what im doing with my 2002 4runner lol