4WD Class 1?

nskyline34

Reaction
I have been enjoying the hell outta my Can-Am X3, but it leaves me wanting more and more every time I drive it... I had a class 8 years ago and loved it, and can only imagine how fun a “full size” X3 would be - like a class 1 buggy with 4WD. I know that these are like unicorns and I’ve only heard of a couple, but I was wondering if anyone on here has done a conversion or know of anyone that has done a 4WD conversion on a buggy (not just a class 1 but any?)

A spool in the rearend (no landing on the throttle which is fine) and then 4WD would be an absolute dream for what I do - mainly logging roads and power line roads and desert, but there is definitely some tight technical stuff where 4WD is critical (like in snow)

I’ve been shopping and can find an older buggy for around 60k which to me seems like a good bang for the buck. I would just want it to be 4WD.

Not scared of doing a poop load of fab work, but I would not want to take away from the class 1 attributes too much - lots of suspension. 24” of travel is about minimum but I’m not sure if CV’s can handle this...? I know it would be fragile, and no I definitely wouldn’t race it - I have a streamlined and dirt bike I race. this would be for fun only.

Anyone know of what t-case and diff people typically use for this kind of thing so I can even try to figure out a parts list and an approx budget/plan?

If I could buy a buggy for $60k (already found a few in the classifieds) and then $20k on making it 4WD and getting it all setup - I’d punt the X3 and dive in... anyone think it’s reasonable?

nskyline34

Reaction
Oh hell yea! Thank you.

I wonder how good the would get around with a spool in the rear and no 4WD. My sand rail did incredibly well for being only 2WD, but not sure how this would do with the weight...

Thank you I’ll check it out!

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Rhys Millen builds what you’re talking about but it’s probably pricey. There’s also a few ultra4 cars for sale in the classifieds.

9rocky

Reaction
Alumicraft is building a 4wd Class 1 for RPI.
Nothing to see here...
phnx 168 body.jpg

Last edited:

nskyline34

Reaction
I never thought about an Ultra4 before - likely out of the price range, however good for ideas. Worst case I guess I can buy a buggy and wait a year and convert it if needed (90% sure but I’ve been wrong before...once. Lol)

Why do class 1’s (or seemingly most buggies for that matter) have an open diff and not a locker or spool? Too hard on CV’s or is it the transaxle that gives in first?

Lastly, anyone know about how much a turnkey USED (and slightly abused) 4WD class 1 would be? (10-15 years old and dated is likely going to be preferable for the budget) Like I said, zero desire to race it since I’m so far away from everything desert racing related.

9rocky

Reaction
When was that picture taken? Just curious how far along they are with it.
That picture is very recent. San Felipe will be its maiden voyage. We will be releasing a lot more later. Kind of keeping it on the down low till it is done. A lot of work still to do, but it is in the best hands.

9rocky

Reaction
What a pile - I’ll be happy to take it off your hands for ya! ;) lol jk jk - jealous as hell! Have a build thread or IG profile or something like that I can follow along on?
IG = @rpiracing

Bro_Gill

Reaction
No to mention the rotation that most trailing arm suspensions throw into the rotating disaster waiting to happen mix. Adding a locked spool would turn a rear engined IRS car into kind of a helicopter scenario. Too many rotating parts that will explode the second a bumble bee touches one of them!

Zambo

Reaction
If you like your Can Am but want more......Speed SxS
With the Dec 1st deadline to preorder at a discount I seriously considered putting down a deposit, but in the end I'm gonna wait and see how they do IRL first. They certainly look bad ass.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction