4WD Class 1?

dezertdoug

Reaction
Some of the things you mention are in the concept of the car we are building. Of course ours is a BBC, not electric. Our Wiks Racing motor on the engine dyno is 890 HP and 780 foot pounds of torque. We intend to do things with the front drive as to where it engages and dis engages based on different inputs. 40 inch BFG tires, RACELINE forged wheels, BAER brakes, Baja Designs lights on Eversen actuators,, etc.

Hopefully, by the peninsula run, we will have all the new car bugs worked out of it and we can top what we did in 2017 in a class
Some of the things you mention are in the concept of the car we are building. Of course ours is a BBC, not electric. Our Wiks Racing motor on the engine dyno is 890 HP and 780 foot pounds of torque. We intend to do things with the front drive as to where it engages and dis engages based on different inputs. 40 inch BFG tires, RACELINE forged wheels, BAER brakes, Baja Designs lights on Eversen actuators,, etc.

Hopefully, by the peninsula run, we will have all the new car bugs worked out of it and we can top what we did in 2017 in a class 10 car.View attachment 220377
I didn't mean electric motors I meant 8 stacks of BBC for power just electronic controllers to clutch certain power to certain wheels (aka traction control) For sure its in development cause you cant have 100% to front it isnt durable just ask any TT awd developers as I'm sure you guys have. I can't wait for testing and racing in class 1.(#2) ;-)
I didn't mean electric motors I meant 8 stacks of BBC for power just electronic controllers to clutch certain power to certain wheels (aka traction control) For sure its in development cause you cant have 100% to front it isnt durable just ask any TT awd developers as I'm sure you guys have. I can't wait for testing and racing in class 1.(#2) ;-)

Rylie

Reaction
Look up OPW (offroad performance warehouse) here in Australia, it is an u4 build and seems along the lines of what you're after. FIS, rear engine(10.4L), also got hummer portals all round, ctis etc. Its bloody brilliant! Sounds like what you're after, minus some of what its got. I believe its placed 11 or 13 at koh. It woulddo well in offroad racing aswell

Attachments

• images (35).jpeg
    images (35).jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 181

nskyline34

Reaction
That's basically exactly what I'm after...if they'd just knock off about $200k from the price tag though. lol

In all seriousness though this thread has some great info in it and I dug through the archives and found pics of the hdedgehog and bass boat - definitely exactly what I'm thinking (except 2 seats).

some of you brought up a good point, AWD is not 4WD - correct. Truthfully I just want 4WD - NOT AWD. I run the X3 in 2WD 90% of the time and I just use 4WD when needed, and this would be the same way. If I had a house in WA and in a place like AZ where I could stay all winter then I wouldnt need 4WD, but I cant quite get the boss to let me take off 3-4 months/year yet... in time though...

So basically it sounds like currently this is possible for the budget I was thinking - but not yet common at all. I wil lhave to start keeping my eye out for a 4WD buggy and jump on it when I can.

Anyone on here have any links to a list of approx how long different parts last on these buggies? Like how often to do you need to replace control arm heims or ball-joints etc? etc? Trying to start thinking about how much the run cost will be for me in my conditions... All the work will be DIY (I dont trust anyone else and its 50% of the fun to me)...

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
How long things last really depends a lot on the left seat. Some people can do 7 laps of san felipe and not break anything. Some people cant go 200 miles in SF without the trailing arm falling off. Similar buggys with the same prep guy......

lxh0318

Reaction
That's basically exactly what I'm after...if they'd just knock off about $200k from the price tag though. lol

In all seriousness though this thread has some great info in it and I dug through the archives and found pics of the hdedgehog and bass boat - definitely exactly what I'm thinking (except 2 seats).

some of you brought up a good point, AWD is not 4WD - correct. Truthfully I just want 4WD - NOT AWD. I run the X3 in 2WD 90% of the time and I just use 4WD when needed, and this would be the same way. If I had a house in WA and in a place like AZ where I could stay all winter then I wouldnt need 4WD, but I cant quite get the boss to let me take off 3-4 months/year yet... in time though...

So basically it sounds like currently this is possible for the budget I was thinking - but not yet common at all. I wil lhave to start keeping my eye out for a 4WD buggy and jump on it when I can.

Anyone on here have any links to a list of approx how long different parts last on these buggies? Like how often to do you need to replace control arm heims or ball-joints etc? etc? Trying to start thinking about how much the run cost will be for me in my conditions... All the work will be DIY (I dont trust anyone else and its 50% of the fun to me)...
This one is for sale and not to far out of your 60k budget. It’s the same AWD chassis as Casey Currie’s before he made it more a desert only car. Andrew McLaughlin with Letzroll Off Road owns it.

Attachments

• ED2D3396-B44C-480C-939A-D86743A58B8E.jpeg
    ED2D3396-B44C-480C-939A-D86743A58B8E.jpeg
    469.8 KB · Views: 103

nskyline34

Reaction
This one is for sale and not to far out of your 60k budget. It’s the same AWD chassis as Casey Currie’s before he made it more a desert only car. Andrew McLaughlin with Letzroll Off Road owns it.

Good find! know where I can find the ad?