• Forum membership has its advantages....

4WD desert racing etiquette...

Chris Tobin

When and if I ever get my Duramax Silverado 2500 project truck completed and ready to race I was wondering what the racing etiquette is when a large and powerful 4WD truck comes upon a bottleneck in silt or a difficult climb or something like that.

I've seen threads complaining about UTVs driving up to and passing the other classes that are stuck and/or waiting in line...

If I come upon a situation like that in my truck that is 4WD and much more powerful than most of the classes what should I do? I'd likely be able to drive around/through and continue on, but would that be frowned upon? I could possibly pull one or two stuck racers out and then continue, but what about the other guys? Or I could simply wait my turn and then continue. What would seasoned/experienced/veteran racers suggest?

Thanks,
Chris

Dezertpilot

I was going to give my two cents till I saw "seasoned/experienced/veteran racers suggest?"

GBRACER

Well thats a two sided coin, you are racing so if you came across a bunch of cars stuck in silt or on a hill and you get around them go for it, they got stuck not you if there is a way around they should be tacking it not sitting there waiting for an invite, unless someone is hurt or needs some first aid i think passing them is fine, one thing I do not agree with is where there is a line up with one line in a canyon or something like that and someone jumps the line that is not ethical. 25c please.

Baja Bryan

Pretty simple we all know the right thing to do. If you tells he guys waiting in line you will unstick the bottle neck I think they would not mind if there is no other help around. Or if you can go way off course 4x4 and not slow anyone waiting in line I think thats fine also. But If I am waiting my turn in line and someone cuts in front of me I will be making good mental notes. In offroad racing you want all the friends you can get and few to none enemies.

If you wating in the border line going back to USA after the race and have been waiting for 2 hours how do you fell if someone cuts in front of you that did not wait at all??? Oh yes its on like donkey kong....

johndjmix

It's a long race and strategy comes into play. Back racing GNCC on an ATV back east if you come to a bottleneck on a hill and everyone is sitting there people start trying to find a way around it. This is where smarts come in. Some find a way around it. Others try and get stuck. It's a strategy game. there are situations where there is literally no way around if you are up front but further back you may be in a spot you can get onto an alternative line and get by. Oh well maybe you should have waited to be sure the guy ahead of you made it.

Some of it is luck. I have seen guys try lines to get around and just burry themselves. It's all luck and knowing the course.

I've lost races by trying to get around and getting stuck. I've also got 2nd place a few times by finding that way around. I've had a hill no one can make and I find a way around and make it then they re route the course to shortcut it and everyone gets around me due to it. Sucks but hey, that's the way it goes.

The situation with the heat at the 500 was very bad. I wasn't there but I would think if you could keep moving you could stay cooler and not roast in the heat sitting in a line. That's one reason not to sit.

Just my opinion.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

green787

It's racing.... You want to be part of the problem..... not the solution....

y2kbaja

2-seater: co-dog gets out and finds out what the bottle neck is (car, cars, hill). Then looks for a way around or how to fix the problem. You're a big 4x4, you may be able to fix the problem but need to get up there to do so.
Single seater: I went miles in different directions at 2015 NORRA looking for a different way around the silt beds. Ended up going thru the bottle neck after it cleared, not without help from a 4x4 (Thanks again #5150)

JDDurfey

I think the issue that people have had with the UTV's, previously known as "Golf Carts" isn't that they would bypass a bottle neck with the assistance of 4x4. But when the faster cars clear the bottle neck and get going at speed the UTVs have not always moved over quickly and held up faster vehicles races.

I know I know, everyone is racing, but the starting order is in place for a reason. If you can bypass a bottleneck filled with Class 10's and you only go half as fast, you better be watching your mirror and move over at the slightest indication you are getting caught. You just saved a ton of time not being stuck in a bottle neck, so you may give up a little time making sure you don't hold up faster vehicles.

FAT ROB !

mossracer01-400.jpg

Here is how 4x4 Baja Champions "Moss Brothers Racing" deals with a bottle neck !

Last edited:

TMorford

I spent a few years codawging a Stock Full with 4WD and we would help out as much as we could. I think our main deciding factor was trying to determine how long it would take, as half of our race was against the clock to finish in time.

y2kbaja

[QUOTE}

Here is how 4x4 Baja Champions "Moss Brothers Racing" deals with a bottle neck !

[/QUOTE]

If I'm in a bottle neck and the Moss Brothers come by I'm lassoing their rear bumper!

Fourstroker

Love the bump move on the 5/16

ACME

Going around to find/try an alternative line is fine. Going around to cut back in line- Cheezedick IMHO...

With that said the UTV's are very capable where some other drivers and vehicles are not in certain situations. If they play fair and get by you, play fair and don't be a dick passing them. FYI, if you got stuck in a bottleneck and are your not running up front in your class, don't be the douche' racing for 15th in class and take out another guy...

Taquache

As a big 4x4 racer my self I've been reading these replies.

It seems that everyone has touched on the same points and understands that if they are passed in a stuck by a 4x4 it is still a race. I will agree strongly with trying to help when we can and when it won't put our race program in jeopardy.

That said I'd like to also mention that if someone is stuck I think it's courtesy on their part to be ready for a tug out should the opportunity arise, as long as the co driver or who ever can safety wait outside the car with tow strap in hand and attached to their stuck vehicle. That way time is most efficiently used.

Our truck has two D rings on the back for purposes such as this.

DONALD MACE

Just look at KOH, those guys wait for no one, they try any line possible. Doing it to cut back in line is BS.

johndjmix

I think the issue is if you get out of line to try to find an alternative way around only to go up a bit then have no where to go...what do you do? You jump back in line but now you "cut". In this case it would be fair to top and let all those guys back by you.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Wendell #527

I always look back and forth up and down the river or siltbed looking for a way around. Sometimes there is just nothing left to do except wait. I always have my codriver get out and help with whatever the issue is holding people up, though. At the Baja 1000 we got stuck in silt BECAUSE of a 4x4. Let me explain. My buddy was driving my car, got to close to a 4x4 in a siltbed. That truck got stuck, then put it in 4x and drove out. Our buggy was stuck but good. My buddy let a different 4x4 that came along cut ahead of our car with the deal that he had to pull our car out afterwards. They made good on their deal. That's the way it should be. Be like that guy and make deals but help out if you are in line and have to stay there.