4wd Tacoma CV Issue

jrtorres

Ok, have a lifted 4x4 6lug tacoma with automatic hubs, and as everyone knows when you lift the front end of a taco you put the CV's at a nasty angle and i'm tired of replacing them. What i'm asking is if there is some way i can just pull the axles and somehow just cap them off or find some way to not deal with them. I'm not gonna need 4x4 for a long time seeing as how i go to school in pomona now lol

Tim_Flahart

The only way to be able to "pull" the axles out and not lose wheels bearing and all your front diff fluid would be to remove the axle from the CV and reinstall both cv's into the spindle and the front diff.

what lift do you have and what is wearing out? the Boots or are the CV's being damaged?

jrtorres

just a 2 1/2 inch spacer lift...and the boots wear out quick due to the constant wear because of the auto hubs...then the cv's go......

Motiracer38

You can swap in a set of Tacoma Prerunner or Tundra 2wd spindles. They have a different hub and sealed backside that you can bolt on your stock rotors, brakes, suspension, etc. to. These both have the same geometry as stock. Heck, find a complete 2wd Tundra setup, run 16" wheels and the larger Tundra calipers and rotors for more stopping power.

EQuin

Another option is to swap to manual hub CVs.

Tim_Flahart

just a 2 1/2 inch spacer lift...and the boots wear out quick due to the constant wear because of the auto hubs...then the cv's go......
Look around for some high angle boots or get lifetime replacements and learn how to change them quickly.

FYI I have an 01 running 285's with 2.5-3 of coilover lift and do not have a problem, Hell one of my axles is still the stock 106K boots and all no problems.

Manual hubs are not the way to go.

1: you lose about 20% in strength in the joints and axles being smaller.
2: A way more PITA to change then ADD
3: You have to swap spindles too in order to run manual hubs. It's not cost effective enough to do it IMO.

carsonc1974

try a 1 inch diff drop... you can find them anywhere that sells toyota stuff and it might fix your problems and you can keep your 4x4

jesusgatos

See if you can find a transmission plug that will work.
I wouldn't recommend that. I haven't taken a set of of these unit-bearing hubs apart myself, but as I understand it, hub can fail if you run them without the outer CV in place because it puts some preload on the bearings, or something like that...

When I was having CV problems, I just took apart a set of CV's and bolted the outers into the spindles like normal, and then took out the front diff. and driveshaft altogether.

jrtorres

Really good idea. This 2001 also has wilwoods in back. After ditching the abs, replacing the stock brakes lines it now stops faster than any truck I've ever driven..
i really like this idea...but how did he go about eliminating the 4 wheel drive and sealing the diff and what not?