4x4 i beam drop brackets

boltonbros

Reaction
i am in the process of building my ranger and the drop brackets i was going to use cracked. i am going to build some new ones but i would like to look at some pics of some other trucks. if someone has a ranger with custom fabed brackets could you post some pictures of them. or if someone knows where to look at some pics on the web please let me know. i would just like to get an idea. thanks

when in doubt throttle it out

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Use the STX 4x4 factory brackets...no need to fab anything, then cut and turn the beams and you should be dialed.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

robert_encinas

Reaction
stock 4x4 drop brackets from the stx high rider model , a 5 1/2 " lift coil spring and 12" stroke shocks will get you 15" front wheel travel on a 4x4 ranger with the ttb suspension.

In_the_works

Reaction
Drop brackets? Boooo. I don't know much about 4x rangers, but the drop brackets that I had on my ford gave me major problems, and put a whole lotta excess stress on the crossmember.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

robert_encinas

Reaction
were they aftermarket? stock brackets are way better than superlift,rancho,trailmaster,etc.
all of the 7-4x4 rangers had them.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
the STX bracket is factory formed...not some aftermarket bolt on junk.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

boltonbros

Reaction
where can i get these stx drop brackets. I have superlift crap on my truck now and they have been welded back together once already. I was going to fab some up using 1/4 inch plate if i could just see some pics. thanks for all your help

hoeker

Reaction
balton, not sure if you caught it yet, but most long travel TTB trucks use factory brackets, and then cut and modify the beam to get the alignment back with the amount of lift you run. this places a lot less load on the frame, and keeps the brackets out of the dirt at full bump.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

DMSRACE

Reaction
Get them from your Ford dealer...I ran them for 5 years with out one problem...

Racer

To live life half throttle would be a waste....

JeffS

Reaction
What year Ranger 4x4 STX had these drop brackets ??

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RedRockOffroad.com>http://www.RedRockOffroad.com</A> - There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

billymanfroy

Reaction
I wanna say '88-'89 or so. It's got to be the "High-Rider" option. I just found the factory print out of the exploded view a few days ago (sorry, threw it away) I bought them from a dealer a few years ago for my 2wd, and the guy said he had to get one side from Sacramento, and the other from Detroit. He also said you can't get them anymore, but I'd try anyways. They actually make the brackets longer that go up the side of your frame, and then weld in like a 1" spacer to drop the pivot points down. We did have problems with it dragging on the short course races at full compression, but you should be fine with a 4x4 and tires larger than 31". Scared the hell out of me the first time it dug in off a jump.

robert_encinas

Reaction
i think 88-89 is correct. mine was an 88. try ALLFORD in anaheim, i believe. they are a ford only junk yard. sorry dont have the number on hand.

slimjim

Reaction
i think the high model STX was available as early as 1986. NO AFTERMARKET DROP BRACKETS! sorry for the capitals, but i feel that strongly about it. you might not break the aftermarket drop bracket, but you surely will put enough leverage on the frame to weaken it. eventually you will get a cracked frame.

put on your seatbelt...

In_the_works

Reaction
Or it'll wear the bolt holes out and you'll get wobbles like hell when cornering. (speaking from experience)

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

boltonbros

Reaction
I have had my superlift brackets on my truck a long time and the first time i touched dirt with my stock brackets they broke. I also have a mazda b4000 se the higher model are the mazdas brackets weaker?

Jkrell

Reaction
old thread, new questions. So does anybody know where to find a set of the factory drop brackets? Ford dealership parts computer says nobody in the coutries got them, i've checked with pretty much every junk yard in so cal, no luck. James Duff makes a set that are the same height and look similiar to the factory cast part, the rock crawler guys say these are pretty tough, anybody here ever run these.

Also, Anybody see any problems with running 'cut and turned' beams with the factory drop brackets.

Thanks.

steveG

Reaction
Autofab builds brackets that have the same geometry as the factory STX brackets. I've used them in the past and they are super strong & well built.

The problem with using the stock pivot brackets is that wheel travel is limited due to the center u-joint binding too soon. With stock brackets and stock width housings, you're limited to about 12" of travel. With the STX brackets you can get 16" of travel. Wider beams of course are capable of more.

Jkrell

Reaction
Hey steve thanks for the reply, ya ive done a lot of research on these front ends and i've come up with the same stuff. Auto fab is great stuff i'm sure, he just wants a 1000 bucks for beams and the pivot brackets. The right side bracket would be easy to extend 2 inches and make plenty strong, but the left side one is a little trickier because its cast. From all the pics i've seen the factory drop part, autofabs, and also james duff's part are all cast....and my furnace doesn't get that hot...so i need to buy it...just trying to explore all my options and i was hoping somebody here would know where to track them down.

steveG

Reaction
The OE passenger beam pivot bracket is not available unless you find it in a wrecking yard.

The Autofab bracket isn't cast.