4x4 i beam drop brackets

Jkrell

Reaction
hey steve, thanks for the pic. The pic auto fab has on their site is of a cast part. ya i just got word back from John, 3 bills for the pass bracket and 5 bills for both. Guess i just need to decide if its worth it for me to make them or not. Thanks again!

steveG

Reaction
No problem. Keep in mind if you use the STX style pivot brackets The beams need to be modified with the 2" drop bracket in mind. If you go out and buy housings modified for 4" of lift with stock pivots you'll end up with 6" of lift.

Jkrell

Reaction
ya thanks for the heads up on that steve, that is the next step i have been considering.

movindirt

Wham Spore
Reaction
steveG said:
No problem. Keep in mind if you use the STX style pivot brackets The beams need to be modified with the 2" drop bracket in mind. If you go out and buy housings modified for 4" of lift with stock pivots you'll end up with 6" of lift.

No you will end up with negative camber and lower ride hieght.

Jkrell, your profile shows your job is fabrication. I would just make the pivots. Heck I have had ProComp drop brakets on for a long time and the have held up okay. I have had to beaf them up some but nothing major. Granted my ranger is a 2wd but that really doesn't matter as far as the pivots go. With a 4wd you want some drop in your pivot brackets so the TTB are centered better in the travel, if that makes sense. Just don't get crazy and drop the pivots to much or they will drag as others have mentioned. I have attached a pic that might help you.

Attachments

• 93ranger013sm.jpg
    93ranger013sm.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

steveG

Reaction
I think he knew what I meant, but I'll be more specific so there's no confusion. If he didn't use beams modified for use with 2" pivot brackets, he would end up with pivot brackets designed to give 2" of lift and beams that were designed to give 4" of lift. The amount of ACTUAL lift will depend on the springs/coil-overs,etc.

Jkrell

Reaction
Hey steve/tony thanks for your responses. Whomevers work is in that picture is very impressive. I'm still in the research phase. The issue has less to do with the ability to fabricate the parts than it does with time. It wouldn't be all that difficult to build a couple of brackets but the time required to cycle, determine geometry, and custom fabricate a complete and clean front end is in the weeks, not days category. That being said i dont mind paying a few bucks if that time has already been spent by somebody else qualified to do it, if you think about it, it actually saves me money. Thanks again for all your guys input...I'll let you know what i come up with.

gwm

Reaction
This is a little off-topic because I have an F250 diesel not a ranger but I broke two Superlift drop brackets on the pass side (the truck sees a LOT of Baja) before I had Jeremy Spirkoff brace it to the back of the crossmember and the frame rail with 1 1/4 .120. I've put maybe 60,000 miles on it since then without a problem. I will concede though that modified beams and stock brackets are better. They were just WAY more expensive in '97.

movindirt

Wham Spore
Reaction
George, Superlift drop brakets are normally have to much drop and that is the problem. You really don't want more then 4" drop in the pivot point and even that is a bit much. You may have to beaf up a drop bracket or brace it like you did but it can sovle a lot of other problems very easily and works well.