4x4 ifs question

Tipracer

Ok so Im kicking around some ideas and I want a little input..
what is the best stock 4x4 ifs set up ford, toyota, chevy...I know the question leaves a lot of room for tangents but let me hear what you guys think...Im looking at the smaller truck stuff...kinda like the chevy zr2 4x4...

Tipracer

really interested in the strength of the different hub/cv set ups..

Giant Geoff

I would say the Ford Broncos and F-150 have the most performance and strength stock.

Tipracer

Thanks for the info....I am trying to shy away from the full sized truck stuff because of weight/loss of hp issues...toyota???what about the canyon...imagine a drivetrain swap...what would you do??? 5 speed or auto, I am thining v6 as well although the vortec engines(inline 6) are simply great..but how does the rest hold up...

dezertdude

Thanks for the info....I am trying to shy away from the full sized truck stuff because of weight/loss of hp issues...toyota???what about the canyon...imagine a drivetrain swap...what would you do??? 5 speed or auto, I am thining v6 as well although the vortec engines(inline 6) are simply great..but how does the rest hold up...
Ranger with full size dana 44 beams if you want a mini truck. You will not find a cheaper, strogner alternative.

And stay away from chevy lol. They are good trucks in general but just not a good starting platform for off road.

baja619

2004 + Ranger 4x4 with the SOHC 4.0.

Dixon Bros makes a great kit for them.

dezertgirl

"RDC's Social Butterfly"
Are you racing it or do you want it just for fun?

I loved the IFS on my Nissan and it held up really well to all the beating I put it through :eek: :cool: Just to through another option out there for a smaller vehicle... I had an Xterra and added Calmini control arms and bilsteins and it was a GREAT toy/daily driver... it felt best going 45-55 on dirt and could climb rocks with jeeps like nothing else :D

Tipracer

2004 + Ranger 4x4 with the SOHC 4.0.

Dixon Bros makes a great kit for them.
that is exactly what I am talking about....I love the lower, but looking at the hub is there a way to make it stronger???it would apear that the upper connection point(on the hub) would be the weak point...is there a stronger set up stock??? I pretty much will be using that type of lower arm, the upper I would expect to have to be stronger(or not if it is not neccessary)...but I keep wondering about the strength of the stock hub assy....

baja619

It is strong enough for mild to a good amount of rugged abuse. Properly set up with bumps and straps you will not exceed the stress points to where it will break for an unreasonable reason. Long Baja Preruns and trail runs I bring spare ball joints and uprights. Also a good idea to bring another rack & pinion because realistically that will most likely be the part that fails first. I have not had any problems what so ever.

If you want a setup beyond this, Contact Brenthal Industries. He has a kit designed that features a fabricated upright and utilizes spherical balls instead of ball joints.

baja B-rad

My vote is for toyota. The 89-95 4x4 uprights are all kinds of strong from the factory and are forged so if you need to add supports they are easily welded. If you need convincing just look at TC's gen 3 race kit ( modified toyota upright)

Dezertpilot

I like the old straight axle Toyota stuff, a lot of different suspension builders use this in their kits. Thats what I would use if building a small to mid size. But like Geoff said for a full size the Bronco stuff is probably pretty durable.

darinz

My vote is for toyota. The 89-95 4x4 uprights are all kinds of strong from the factory and are forged so if you need to add supports they are easily welded. If you need convincing just look at TC's gen 3 race kit ( modified toyota upright)
So are you talking about a 4runner? Just trying to convert what you call stuff to what it is called in this part of the world.
If so then I would assume that Longfields can be made to work in these as well?
This is the basic concept I've been looking at but with a Nissan H233 centre (as I already have that with an ARB locker fitted) that will be cut down accordingly.

Tipracer

In a way, the only things we want to change is from the inboard pivot points out...what I am looking for is a very strong STOCK upright to start with...that way bearings, maintainance and cost is kept way down..once I find the right upright I will go from there, and oh yeah it has to be easily convertible to uniballs.

Lance T

Are you racing it or do you want it just for fun?

I loved the IFS on my Nissan and it held up really well to all the beating I put it through :eek: :cool: Just to through another option out there for a smaller vehicle... I had an Xterra and added Calmini control arms and bilsteins and it was a GREAT toy/daily driver... it felt best going 45-55 on dirt and could climb rocks with jeeps like nothing else :D
Mine works pretty well but the auto hubs aren't as good as the manual hubs.

This is the basic concept I've been looking at but with a Nissan H233 centre (as I already have that with an ARB locker fitted) that will be cut down accordingly.
H233 is a tough piece. I had so many people think I was running a 9" in the 7s they were always surprised to hear it was a Nissan 9.5.

That Dixon kit looks great.

JMiller

So are you talking about a 4runner? Just trying to convert what you call stuff to what it is called in this part of the world.
If so then I would assume that Longfields can be made to work in these as well?
He is referring to the hilux but the 4 runner is the same as well.

darinz

Sweet as a sponsor is a Toyota nut and also a wrecker so has a heap of them sitting on the shelf. Time to start collecting parts!