4X4 ranger SAS swap

JBO

Reaction
Before commiting to any EXPENSIVE fab work on my 4x4 ranger, I want to explore the possibility of a straight axle swap. I've checked out the options out there for the TTB dana 35, and they're not cheap. So I'd like to see how a SAS might work. I'm thinking it could still be set up to ride real nice with the right shocks/springs, etc. But would the lift have to be way high to use a straight axle?
Any thoughts on this (well any helpful thoughts anyway) would be great, especially any leads on a shop that would do this kinda swap, and still keep it riding NICE would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jaron

SDranger

Reaction
check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.offroadrangers.com>http://www.offroadrangers.com</A> there is a guy who screen name is rerard who did a SAS. lots of info. I dont know how much you wanna spend but a TTB truck is not all that expensive to get travel out of.

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
IF you are looking to go 4 wheelin and rock crawling then go with the SA. If you are looking to have fun in the desert at a higher speed...drop the idea of a SA....you would be doing yourself a great dis-service.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

SDranger

Reaction
Kritter has the right idea, it depends on what your gonna use the truck for. A TTB truck can be awesome in the dez, and a SA will be great on the trails and rocks. If your gonna be in the dez going fast a stock ttb would be better than a SA.

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

JBO

Reaction
I'm aware what the pros/cons would be...what I'm more interested in is finding a shop who would do this, but still has some sense of setting it up to work/ride nice. The shops I've seen doing SAS just talk about the 10" of lift you can get, and how you can fit 38" swampers...that's just not what I'm interested in. I know there is SA trucks out there that work good other places than on the rocks...

I'm just checking out all my options before I plunk down 3 grand at camburg or somewhere...
Any other places that do good work on TTB? SD ranger...I forget who you said did yours...somewhere in San Diego, truck house or something?

thanks, Jaron

SDranger

Reaction
My truck was done by Pinobuilt (the truck house). his shop is over in miramar area. He's done a lot of ttb rangers/explorers. his # is 858 271 8264

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The trucks that ride nice with a SA front end....came with a SA front end!!! You can go to deaver and have tem build you a nice custon set of springs and then by some nice shocks and you will probably be at almost 1500-2000 dollars and that is without the purchase of a SA and the fab work to convert it...brackets, steering, etc... 3 grand is not that much for a front end in the prerunner market. It is a lot of money...yes, but it is not a lot of money with respect ot front ends. With the TTB you can get there custom beams and then you can run a D44 spindle and knuckel and then you have big breaks and a big lug pattern. TTb is the only way to go on the Rangers

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."