• Forum membership has its advantages....

4x4

Motorider

I wanted to know if you have a 4x and you lift it and put oversized tires on it, and change the gears in the rear end, do you have to change the gears in the front end also? If you don't are you more likely to break something? Thanks for the help

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
YOu ahve to match the front gears to the rear if you intend on using the 4wd.

Kris

If you wanted a steak you shouldn't have went to McDonald's!

Motorider

OK, I changed the rear gears to 4.56, so do I change the front gears to 4.56? Also if I do a lot of my 4 wheel driving in the sand, do I still need to change the gears?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Change them to 4.56 then.

Kris

Ryno

ALWAYS run the same ratio gears front and rear. If you don't, your transfer case will let you know that you should have about 4 feet after you engage 4wd. 4.56's are nice in sand too. =)

Ryno

PS-if you haven't yet, get an aftermarket transmission cooler. It'll save you about 1300 bucks. Big tires eat trannies like chubby girls pound the Ben & Jerrys

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Motorider

Do you guys know anyone that you can reccomend to do the gear change in the front end?
Also how hard is it to install a transmission cooler? Do I have to drill holes in the trans, or does it come almost set up?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
IF its an automatic it should already have on from factory and jsut replace the small one with a big one. A lot of time it will jst go through your radiator. IF you ahve a manual then you will most likely not have a cooler.

Kris

vwguy

any halfway competant gear shop drivline shop etc should be able to change the front r and p
if it is automatic the stock cooler is the radiator so just plumb in a new kragen big oil cooler
a cheap way to get the big cooler is to take the big one and stuff it in a smaller ones box and yes it may be sticking out the side but it has worked for us we got an 80 dollar external cooler for 40 bucks
just a thought

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Awesome. That will show them for charging the prices they do!

Kris

ntsqd

Re: coolers; was: 4x4

If this is a V8 truck, buy the biggest cooler you can find and afford. I don't care what the supposed GVWR application for the cooler is. The best performing type is the stacked plate with radiator-like fins btwn each pair of plates. The worst performing cooler type is the tube and fin type. Takes a lot larger one of these to equal a stacked plate and they are not as rugged. Some people use AC condensors. They work OK, but for their size they should work a lot better than they do. I've gotten some coolers from the junkyard. I do not use these on expensive engines or trannies, but with a proper cleaning (I used to take them to work, soak them over night in the hot tank and then flush them all day in a solvent tank), this is a cheap source. JCW also has pure stacked plate coolers for reasonable if you're not in a hurry.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee