5-1600 car power steering or no power steering!!!

CHukkawala

WHICH DO YOU THINK IS BETTER? WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES? PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK for 5-1600 car

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
some say robs power from the motor but it sure saves your hands. if you don't want to lose 2 hp the charlyn unit is a good buy

nimrod

KOOK!
If you enjoy working through the whoops and having the steering wheel ripped out of your hands while it spins wildly to the left and the right you would probably prefer the good old muscle man technique..........

On the other hand if you like to keep your hands on the steering wheel while flying through the whoops with a false sense of control (since your hands are actually on the steering wheel) you would probably prefer power steering.......

Wilson

If you enjoy working through the whoops and having the steering wheel ripped out of your hands while it spins wildly to the left and the right you would probably prefer the good old muscle man technique..........

On the other hand if you like to keep your hands on the steering wheel while flying through the whoops with a false sense of control (since your hands are actually on the steering wheel) you would probably prefer power steering.......
LOL - yeah, that about sums it up!

And as Pat says, the major advantage is "less fatigue".
That may translate to fewer mistakes and faster driving on longer races. The downside includes additional expense, complication and some loss of power. Most have decided that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Our car does not have power steering, but fatigue has not been a significant problem for us. Longer races (the '500 and '1000) might be another matter, and we are re-thinking our setup.

NIKAL

We don't need no stinking power steering! Man up and run a 17in steering wheel.

Actually power steering is nice, but not necessary to be competitive, I think we proved that. The biggest problem with adding power steering is mounting it correctly and still keeping the car legal. IMO when Score allowed power steering they should have also modified the front pan clip rule. But Savage did not so mounting a ram style steering is tough without having to cut more then what is currently allowed per Score rules. Also cutting a bit more of the pan does not give any performance advantage, so why Savage did not allow it I dont know.

harleys dad

Put a good driver in a car with power st and then put him with out I would bet my house times will fall off as the race goes on. Sharlin takes 0 hp to run, all it needs is flow and it can be mounted where your berrings are now with the steering wheel mounting directly to it. I quit 5/1600 because of a bad hand bud will resume with power st. I belive it is crazy to not use it. Sharlinn is very reliable, I have had the one on my 1600 car since 1982

Frontier 4 Baja

I recently drove with Power Steering for the first time at the Baja 1000 San Felipe loop. Let me tell you, It is a big difference in how quickly you will NOT get fatigued, you don't have to fight the car going through the sand, whoops, ruts, etc.... You will also improve your times because it takes a long time to get tired, versus with no power steering you WILL get tired much faster. Believe me you will see a difference.

Wilson

I recently drove with Power Steering for the first time at the Baja 1000 San Felipe loop. Let me tell you, It is a big difference in how quickly you will NOT get fatigued, you don't have to fight the car going through the sand, whoops, ruts, etc.... You will also improve your times because it takes a long time to get tired, versus with no power steering you WILL get tired much faster. Believe me you will see a difference.
What about "feedback"? Without p/s, we have a fair amount of steering wheel feedback - is that reduced/eliminated with your p/s setup? Or, does it only reduce the amount of force the driver needs to make corrections?

harleys dad

I have the new Fortin rack being installed in my car as we speak. I'll let you know after this weekend how it works. Best part is that it is legal.
I Have herd about a lot of problems with those on the small amount of 1600 cars that I know have used them. Sounds like a waste of money to me considering I have never had 1 single issue with sharlins on all 3 of my cars that have them.. Even if I had the money to put that on my car it would be the last thing I would put on. Ask Paul Keller how bitchen it is when it freezes up!!!! At speed!!!! and Nick and........!!! Sharlinn you put on and forget for less than 1/4 of the cost of a ram steering that will break tubing out of your car!!!! Been there done that!!!

harleys dad

as far as feed back sharlinn will take all the feedback away from your hands, but bumpsteer is from the rack and pinion being mounted wrong if it is real bad, you could tear up things like tie rod ends, link pins and king pins as well as slow your car down everyt6ime the wheel goes up and the wheels toe in and out as the wheel goes up and down.

harleys dad

Pat the Fortin that you mention I Have herd about a lot of problems with those on the small amount of 1600 cars that I know have used them. Sounds like a waste of money to me considering I have never had 1 single issue with sharlins on all 3 of my cars that have them.. Even if I had the money to put that on my car it would be the last thing I would put on. Ask Paul Keller how bitchen it is when it freezes up!!!! At speed!!!! and Nick and........!!! Sharlinn you put on and forget for less than 1/4 of the cost of a ram steering that will break tubing out of your car!!!! Been there done that!!!

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Get it. You will run faster for sure...
The charlyn valve is a torque converter, it sits in the shaft between the wheel and the rack. Two hoses go back to a p/s pump in the engine. You need a base for the pump and an extra pulley in the engine.
The only setback, the rack will take a beating, Had to change the pinion on it after 4-5 races.

el tiburon

pdailey

Racer
I Have herd about a lot of problems with those on the small amount of 1600 cars that I know have used them. Sounds like a waste of money to me considering I have never had 1 single issue with sharlins on all 3 of my cars that have them.. Even if I had the money to put that on my car it would be the last thing I would put on. Ask Paul Keller how bitchen it is when it freezes up!!!! At speed!!!! and Nick and........!!! Sharlinn you put on and forget for less than 1/4 of the cost of a ram steering that will break tubing out of your car!!!! Been there done that!!!
I heard the same thing at first but have also heard that Fortin has addressed and fixed these problems. ORAF just built a car a little while ago and installed this rack on the car. Zero issues so far. Too late now, car is already done anyways. LOL

punchdrunk monkey

How does the charlynn do if you throw a belt? Can you still steer?

norris1040

Dont worry about that fortin rack those things are awesome i have one on my car only issue i had was where you bolt the rod ends to the rack. My brother had the bolt shear at speed and he said it wasnt too fun so we welded a block with some mis align spacers so it would have some bearing works good now. Pat you will also notice your steering will be a lil quicker makes it easy for those tight technical sections. My fortin rack is for sale if anyone is interested i changed my car a bit and went to the newer bigger fortin rack