• Forum membership has its advantages....

5-1600 Midnight Special Shootout - Interested?

R. Gross

To all 5-1600 racers. At the SNORE BAP last February as a class we were able to get 16 entries for that great event and that was without outside promotion or bonus money. A great weekend for class 5-1600, in this day and age. During that weekend, I was able to speak with most of the class DOR’s (Ledezma, Savedra, Harper, Garcia, Kaylor, etc) along with some product sponsors that were there about doing a coalition / shootout race at the SNORE Midnight Special on 8-4-17 thru 8-6-17. Everyone I spoke to was in favor of the idea and a lot of the product sponsors said they would put up some product or cash, it was just a matter of who was going to organize and promote it.

In talking with everyone, it seemed every other DOR I talked to knew someone else who has a 5-1600 sitting in the garage waiting for a reason to prep it and get it entered. If this is the case, here is the reason to prep it. With a semi-centrally located race venue in Jean Nevada, with it being a long course race to even the playing field for the older & heavier cars (not a strip it down & Dyke jump it). I think we shoot for 25 entries. Let’s install the lights, spare tire, jack and bring back 5-1600 entry numbers. My kids will be racing the #552 & #563 and if the other 14 show up along with a little word of mouth I believe we can hit 25 entries.

Right now, I already have about $2,000 in bonus money committed from a few donors, if we do a side shootout bet of $100 per entry there is another $2,500. SNORE standard payback for that many cars will be another few grand. The product sponsors that are on the fence want to see entry counts before they commit, but that is easily doable once the entry list starts and everyone enters early. Entries generate competition and more entries. If all goes well, we can get a payback structure that reaches out to 4th or 5th place if not further with some decent cash and product.

I would like to get some feedback and interest from the class DOR’s before I spend a lot of time reaching out to sponsors and product retailers for more bonus money and product. If there is enough interest, I will gladly make time to make the calls and try to make it the best race we can for the class and possibly roll it right into RATR.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions or interest in sponsoring the shootout that you do not want to post on RDC, please email me at [email protected]. Thanks for reading this post and please forward it to any 5-1600 you know.

R. Gross

Thanks guys, you rock. Nice to see those old school smooth body shocks on there and still hanging it out. Old cars can still win and be competitive in 5-1600. My kids #552 was built in 1979 1-3/4" - 120 wall tagged by SCORE in 1979 and racing 5 decades later. Was looking for a 3rd at BAP until a false oil light took us down for 15 minutes troubleshooting. Spread the word

Last edited:

R. Gross

If there are any teams from out of the area that might need some pit support, I was thinking about doing some shared efforts where we can team up and take spares and parts to the remote pits for multiple teams. This might ease the people required for any given team and save some $$$$ for everyone. I will also mark all the pits in a continuous row the weekend before so that teams out of the area can be assured that there will be a pit spot for them when they show up.

harleys dad

Hendrickson's will be there.

View attachment 182035
the races that have had strong 51600 entries have been Laughlin and BAP, have just got the engine back from FAT for my 516. We will talk it over and see as a roasting race even at night doesnt sound to fun. Which night race are you talking about, More or Snore? After a 11 hour drive home from Caliente Sunday I am not
in a hurry for a long drive to a Snore race right now

R. Gross

I got another $500 donation yesterday. I will try to get a list of sponsors to date posted in the next week or so. I know some teams are still deflating from current races.

R. Gross

To all,
In light of the recent passing of my friend Art (5-1600 racer forever) and the posting of a 5-1600 memorial race for him at the September race with SCORE, I have decided to postpone the efforts of a US based shoot out race in August until RATR in December. We will still be racing our 2 cars at the Midnight and I have spoken to others who will also, but we do not want to distract any 5-1600 from going to the memorial race. Don't get me wrong, we want as many entries as possible to show up at the Midnight, especially those who do not want to or can't afford to race in Mexico. So if you were on the fence, see you in Jean.
Also from some of the feedback I was getting, a majority wanted to do it at RATR anyways.
Art R.I.P. my friend. Guy and Donald, kick ass at the 1000, see you down there.