• Forum membership has its advantages....

5 speed

jarreptolson

well i just finished the install of an autofab kit on my 92 ranger 4x4, and have really started to notice how much the autos in rangers suck. So i had the idea of swapping in a 5 speed, i know central coast mustang sells a kit to put a T5 in the ranger but i am not sure about the ability to mate up to the transfer case. My question is to anyone who has ever swaped out their auto for a 5 speed, i just want to know how difficult it is to do the swap, and ultimately how much it might cost, i would do it all myself so no need to factor in labor. Also do you think it would be easier to go with a stock ranger 5speed or to go for the T5. Oh yeah one more thing, what modifications if any would be done or needed for the computer or any wiring harnesses i should obtain. Thanks again. Jarrett

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jarrettolson on 08/19/01 06:38 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

mgobaja

Dont forget that you will need a clutch pedal,slave cyclinder,master cyclinder and you will have to punch a hole in the floor for the shifter. And I think that the drive shaft is a different length .FLYWHEEL also will be needed.

Greg

The stock 5 speed is actually a pretty good trans but from the factory the plugs on the rear of the shift tower leak while driving ( but not when stopped) then the next thing you know you've burned something up. T-5's are kinda strong but ask any 5.0 mustang guy and you'll hear horror stories about third gear. If you can find a kit to put a t-5 in a ranger then what about going with a Tremec, i'm not sure about the bell housing but CCM should know. Also check with Advance Adaptors and Nowak.

Greg

Dylan

I don't think T-5's have a very low first gear, this would make them not as well suited for truck use.

Greg

The garden variety t-5 has a 3.35:1 first, which I belive is lower than a stock ranger 5 speed. The "world class" t-5 has a 2.95:1 first and the Tremec has a 3.35:1.

Greg