5 ways to get Californian's out to a short course race

Steve_Naughton

Reaction
Millions of people in CA, yet only a few thousand show up to a race. What's the deal? Even with all the gimmicks that all the series have tried over the years (celebrity drivers, concerts, freestyle moto-x, skydivers, adding the word "pro" to every class, etc..) and the turn-out still sucks relative to the population.

Therefore, I've come up with 5 ways that that I think we can get "Californian's" out to a short course off road race:

1. Prius Class.

2. Change the name of the series to ""The Oscar Mayer Tofu Weiner Series"

3. Figure out how to run the vehicles off of natural herbs and wheat grass juice, rather than motor oil and gasoline.

4. Instead of concerts and freestyle moto-x, have Yoga and meditation classes.

5. Put Al Gore in a Pro 2 (that runs on wheat grass juice)

Steve_Naughton

Reaction
Not holding the race when its over 100 and humid is a better idea.
Yeah nice weather is good, but I've been to like 15 short course races in CA in the past few years when the weather was nice and they were still weak turn outs relative to the population size. What's up with that?

baja619

Reaction
You may be onto something however the Venues in CA are near capacity and the events have all been highly successful (Never been to Antelope Valley Events). So what is your point? California is full of gay pussified push over schmucks. That is apparanent enough when every 4th vehicle on the road is a prius or some kind of crossover ferry wagon.

Now the LOORS AZ rounds sold out on both days and was still hot as hell. That disproves Kartmans argument.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i live 10 mins from elsinore I love short course but didnt go. why? becuase im not all about paying the money they wanted to not have amenities of a stadium. i went to the beach instead drove by elsinore it was 102 according to my trucks thermometer.

in CA there is a ton more to do alot cheaper then go to a race. AZ, wisconsin, etc etc im not so sure theres much more to do then go to the trcuk races. you can go t petco, dodger stadium or angels stadium on $100 with a family of 5 and still have a good time. make general admission tickets $15 and i bet more would show up. i know i owuld be more inclined to.

Ill go to every SX round and MX round here in california though :)

LORENZ

Reaction
I've written about this a bit in the past. There's a lot going on down here. Frankly, over stimulation is a good word for it.

Short and sweet is what needs to happen. I understand opening ceremonies go off at 2p and the racing last for a couple of hours after that.... Most fans don't realize this, and burn out by planing on staying the whole day. We even burned out our own pdailey this weekend.

gmmvp42

Reaction
Except for San Francisco, CA residents aren't tree hugging druids as you seem to think with your suggestions. We just don't enjoy hot and humid weather, we have the beach with bikini ladies to cool off with. I think the weather had a lot to do with it, combined with the relavitve low # of hardcore enthusiasts vs the population as a whole. I wouldn't go to any event I wasn't really into when its over 100. Outside of East County in San Diego the # of CA off road enthusiasts per mile is probably a hundredth of a percent of the population. Also if RV camping was allowed AT THE TRACK, I think this would increase attendance. Off roaders like watching events, but they like it more when the camping experience is involved. As for the ticket prices, $45 seemed good to me, just wish you could have camped AT THE TRACK.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
yup corr, perris with the dirt alliance thing, and short course in genreal is fun whent he truck are on the track. when they are not its BORING. rhinos are Boring, trophy karts are BORING, buggies are boring. Buying beer only fills so much time in between the cool stuff. pro lite, pro 2, and pro 4 are the cool things. open the gates at 5 race under the lights friday and saturday. get it on and get it done so i still have time to get home shower and still go out and not be sunburned and tried from being in the sun all day.

SX starts at 7 and is over by 1030 i think still plenty of time to do something else after wards.

metalcore_xxx

Reaction
Well, I go to most the CA races, at least when I am not working, and I know my friends and family don't go because the cost. If you are not a hardcore fan, you wont go at the prices. It also has to do with overstimulation. CA has a lot going on, so you won't be bored if you don't go to a race, and there is some form of dirt racing every weekend in CA.

DailyPedal

Reaction
So Cal has always been a tough sell regardless of the weather...Irwindale Speedway tried Friday night racing and few showed up-not due to lack of interest, more due to sitting in traffic for hours trying to get to the track.
I think the races back east have become their own "events" and destinations regardless of what group is racing...Riverside was like that, once a year so you better plan ahead and make an effort to be there. Camping, night races when its blazing, more vendors to make it more of a "motorsports festival" all good ideas and I am sure will be batted around in the very near future....

racer56

Reaction
1. Unification of short course offroad racing.
2. Better advertising.
3. Stadium venues.
4. Quick shows with non stop action.
5. Support from the auto makers.

LukeHuff

Reaction
So Cal where I live is a ghost town for racing. At my school of 2500 kids only me and another kid race ( he races go karts) other than that no one really follows the sport either. Although i have gotten some of my friends very interested. I'm still trying to get a spot in the school newpaper to exhibit our awesome sport. Too many people in Cali who dont like the dirt haha.

Pro2-54

Bobby Earl
Reaction
I personally praise and thank the 6k+ that braved the heat on Saturday and the 4k or so on Sunday. It was hot and miserable for all. Those who stuck it our in those conditions are die hard fans.

That said, in my opinion the show needs to be tightened up especially when it is that hot. Last year when we were live on NBC, they ran the P-4, PL, and P-2 one after the other, boom, boom, boom with no time for boredom, just non stop action for and hour and a half and the fans and racers were stoked.
Seems like they need to quit worrying about filling the 4's with 2's and run them first with what they have. Then run the Unl. Lites and then the 2's, then fill the before and after with the other classes and entertainment.

The true off road fan who just wants to watch the baddest off road racing there on the planet can get it all in in an acceptable amount of time without having to suffer through hours of downtime and side shows.
Then those who are there for the full experience can show up early and leave late if they choose to take it all in.

Like it was said before, opening ceremony at 2pm, Unl. 2's at 2:30, Unl. Lites at 5:30 and the 4's/2 race at 6 PM is just dragging it out. It would be nice to have opening ceremony at noon, be racing by 12:30 and be done by 4 or 5pm. Have the the Unl. 4 race at 1:30, followed by the the Unl. Lites then Unl. 2's one after the other. Rotate the other classes in the times before and after the truck races.
Would also help to ditch the Sunday morning qualifying, have two laps practice to shake down any repairs and invert the field from the previous days results.

Oh ya, don't race in the desert in the summer, I've heard its hot. Even a night race at Elsinore in July, it will still be 105 at 8:30 pm and we still have to work all day in the heat getting the trucks ready (ever been to Terribles Cup in Vegas). I'd personally like to see the July Elinore race move Late September.
Anyway, just my opinion. There's a reason I'm a racer and not a promoter (they have a way tougher job).
Rob

Reaction
I tried going to an offroad race in Nevada once, actually there was about 5 of us from WI that booked plane tickets, hotel rooms, and rental cars..........then we found out the race was canceled and the tickets were not refundable-

We would like to make the trip to a Lucas Oil Offroad Race event someday, we all had a blast in wheatland and we know those guys are capable of putting on a hell of a show!

Kartman

Media Goon
Reaction
I personally praise and thank the 6k+ that braved the heat on Saturday and the 4k or so on Sunday. It was hot and miserable for all. Those who stuck it our in those conditions are die hard fans.

That said, in my opinion the show needs to be tightened up especially when it is that hot. Last year when we were live on NBC, they ran the P-4, PL, and P-2 one after the other, boom, boom, boom with no time for boredom, just non stop action for and hour and a half and the fans and racers were stoked.
Seems like they need to quit worrying about filling the 4's with 2's and run them first with what they have. Then run the Unl. Lites and then the 2's, then fill the before and after with the other classes and entertainment.

The true off road fan who just wants to watch the baddest off road racing there on the planet can get it all in in an acceptable amount of time without having to suffer through hours of downtime and side shows.
Then those who are there for the full experience can show up early and leave late if they choose to take it all in.

Like it was said before, opening ceremony at 2pm, Unl. 2's at 2:30, Unl. Lites at 5:30 and the 4's/2 race at 6 PM is just dragging it out. It would be nice to have opening ceremony at noon, be racing by 12:30 and be done by 4 or 5pm. Have the the Unl. 4 race at 1:30, followed by the the Unl. Lites then Unl. 2's one after the other. Rotate the other classes in the times before and after the truck races.
Would also help to ditch the Sunday morning qualifying, have two laps practice to shake down any repairs and invert the field from the previous days results.

Oh ya, don't race in the desert in the summer, I've heard its hot. Even a night race at Elsinore in July, it will still be 105 at 8:30 pm and we still have to work all day in the heat getting the trucks ready (ever been to Terribles Cup in Vegas). I'd personally like to see the July Elinore race move Late September.
Anyway, just my opinion. There's a reason I'm a racer and not a promoter (they have a way tougher job).
Rob
All valid points, the day is way too long in that heat and too much downtime. Running way behind schedule on Saturday did not help things.

This weekend reminded me a lot of the Terrible Cup except with good racing, but the heat was just as miserable.

ultrablew

Reaction
The heat was just plain brutal. Hubby, kid and I sat in the stands after the pro-2. (this being the first race that we went to "spectate") We tried to hang, but after the pro-2's, there was just too much down time. It got too hot sitting there. Would have loved to stay longer than we did and watch more races (rather than listen in the shade) but just too sun beat..... The Lucas series was good though. All and all I was impressed with the running of the event. Heat was just too much.....

AllenBrotherRacing

Reaction
Great job went to the race on sunday had to work saturday and it was not as hot as the primm corr race last year but it was hot but the big plus was I got a water for a dollar that was a good deal.

AllenBrotherRacing

Reaction
NUMBER 1 WAY TO BEING SOCAL TO A OFF ROAD RACE

ESPN X GAME

OFF ROAD X

RACING FOR THE X CUP

First year will get the name out there next year it will be sold out

BOB hear it team up with X-Games for one round of racing during the season

LUCAS OIL X-GAME CUP

WOW look what it did for MOTOX

Al Swearengen

Reaction
The goal is to get butts in the seats. In SoCal there are many things to do for recreation. School just got out for many districts and familys plan vacations at this time of year. The races in Feb. Mar. Apr. when people are more likely to be at home and not planning vacations and the kids are in still school should have larger crowds

In the summer getting SoCal locals to commit to a race is a tough task to accomplish. I live here but had other "Plans"