$50,000

Jordan

Reaction
I am curious what you guys think is out there you consider a bitchin truck that was built for total less than $50,000. That is including the truck and all. We all love gazing into the deep pockets of the TT guys and their $250,000 prerunners but when reality smacks us in the face we know many of us can only dream of reaching that level. So, what's out there that you consider well built, clean, and works that is more reasonably priced?

Pictures will really be great for this thread!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I dont know about you but 50k is pretty steep too! Greg Gagnon's truck...cheap and fast enough.

jeff

Reaction
Look no further than UP Greg's hooptie. For the money it works pretty freakin' well and it doesn't see too much down time. Dollar for dollar I think Greg has got more out of his truck than almost anyone else. It's severely under powered and it's not much to look at (the roll damage gives it character) but the darn thing works. It might not be the ultimate desert prerunner but for the money I can't think of anything that will beat it. Plus it has the "I built this myself" attitude and some funky parts you normally don't see on your average prerunner.

Aloha

michael_loomis

Reaction
i vote for gregs as well , but how much does he really have into it ? and how much MORE would it be if with all the custom do it yourself parts that were pretty cheap for him , would have cost full pop ?

ive seen some SWEET old TT's going for pretty cheap .... ne example was the old simon and simon truck that was sold to ....shoot i forget his name ... the mexican drug dude .... when he got busted and went to jail , the truck was for sale for $40,000. sure it needed a 10 to 15K prep , but that was a pretty sweet truck for the money.

Jordan

Reaction
Just to let people know I did not start this thread because I am building another truck. I was just curious what you thought was good that was out there.

Greg

Reaction
Thanks for all the kind words. Here's the skinny on my truck; $8200 for 93 ranger in 97, it was a pretty nice prerunner then, but the only thing left from the way I bought it are the front wheels, and those are soon to be replaced. $1100 for all 4 bypasses (used), $1200 for king 2.5 c/o (new), $500 for rear c/o (used) and new springs, $1300 in heims, uniballs, and urethane, $120 to have the fuel tank bent, $200 for the reatr wheels (new), $300 for 35-12.5 bfg mt (used), $800 for all the fiberglass (new), $400 for seats (new), $500 for steel and other materials, $1800 for the rear axle. That total comes to $16420, im sure there were other costs, like the cost of breaking stuff that wasnt designed properly, and bolts and stuff, and running a full fab shop for a living helps keep the cost down. But its my first truck and its way under $20g to build.

slimjim

Reaction
greg's truck is awesome, no doubt. the question is hard to answer though, because people don't usually know what other people really spent on their truck. Fabrication prices are gonna vary alot from shop to shop - i look at a truck sometimes and say to myself "if could afford $25,000 for a new prerunner, i could build it just like that, except my way" - then i find out that the truck cost the owner $40k to build. If I had a $50,000 budget, i am confident that i could build a ranger prerunner exactly the way i want it, and not cut any (at least not many) corners. It wouldn't have leather wrapped, electronically cooled cup holders - but it would be very safe, very fast, and look awesome.

I always liked the ramcharger that Ryan Thomas had (maybe i can find a pic). You can make pretty sweet buggy for 50k also.

Rprice

Reaction
this doesnt really have to do with this post but when looking in the classifieds i noticed about 75% of the prerunners seem overpriced some ask over 10k for a truck thats been driven hard and has good suspension but i still dont see how it could be over 10k for a older truck.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
People think they get back what they put in...that is of course until reality sets in.

singlehanded

Reaction
Doesnt greg have a 5.0 motor in his truck and is he running a stock trans without a cooler?????

CEORanger

Reaction
as far as selling price, i see alot that are "or best offer". sometimes people dont really want to sell them but if someone with money comes along, then the seller is set. same with race cars, dirt bikes, the list goes on.

Timmah

Reaction
Nah,
Greg has a 4.0L (with a bunch of miles) and no cooler need for a stock manual trans!

Kinda funny that a 4.0 seems fast enough until you get your suspension working to that level, then we get bored and quest for more power!

drtdevil93

Reaction
gregs truck is fast for sure, but bang for the buck, i say pete albano's 4wd ranger.
front: procomp f150 coil, dual 5100 bilsteins, nothing special in the beams or radius arms.
rear: deaver springs, non-bypass king 2.5, and he just added airbumps.
3.0 L, very minor modifications, stock trans, 9" rearend.

his truck handles the bumps so unbelievably well for the parts it has on it. and it corners surprisingly well on the street, too. it certainly doesnt hurt that hes a shock wizard, either.

erik

Greg

Reaction
I would second erik and agree about Pete's truck, scary fast. And Pat K also in the hunt for most bang for the buck, Pat probably has more desert miles than 90% of all race cars and has like $5k in his truck, and he beats it. I think Rose has right around $50k into his truck and it really is a brautiful truck with some really nice detail work, and some smart design integration. Man, i couldn't see spending $50k on a truck, i still need to build my patio!

RRose

Reaction
different stage of life greg..... I don't own a house, or have a family.... I'm young and dumb.... and spend the majority of my waking hours looking for the next toy I can cause havoc with! Wait till you see the new toy!!! You won't believe it!

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Awwww.....Shucks guys....thanks.
Not bad for a dialy driver, work truck.

I got a new truck now, Time to join the ranks of you racers, shooting for the first or second race of next year. Wonder what the total will be by then......?

RRose

Reaction
Hey Pat.... its only money.... if it was meant to hold on to.... It would have come with handles!