• Forum membership has its advantages....

50 different classes, really?????

brad inch

just reading a article my marty fiolka that says the score has 50 classes and bitd has 41. wow no wonder there is payback and there not many cars in just class.when i started there were 7 classes,did this happen because everyone needs a dam trophy???????

Dave Cole 4454

Promoters have for sure given too many people access to "Win". Way too many classes because they keep giving people new classes because they are scared if they don't they will lose their entry. Its as simple as that.
Racers are to blame too.

Everyone lobbies to get their own snowflake class. Why on earth is there a normally aspirated utv class? 4 different class 7's?
Two different spec tts?

Just go racing

DGruper

Too many classes is the result of every other racer wanting things to be “fair” because they don’t want to commit to spendIng the money and time to be a champion that the champion already has. You earn these titles because it is hard and requires you put 110% of everything into being a champion. It appears now that if you’re not happy to be the first loser, you don’t work harder. Instead you look for ways to create a new class that suits your lower level of commitment to the sport which lower expectations, curbs advancement of technology, thins out the driver talent pool, and takes away any chance there is enough money leftover for the promoter to give you an entry refund check, much less a trophy....But, hey, here’s your finishing pin. Good job!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Here's the link to the article. Insight: Off-road racing’s identity crisis

@brad inch mentioned the number of classes for SCORE and BITD but did I read it right that the Mint has 39 bike classes and 42 car classes (81 total)?

This subject comes up every couple years and it seems like each time it comes up there are even more classes than there were the last time it was brought up. I agree that all promoters should just get along and use the same class names but it will never happen for many reasons.

Somewhat related to this subject... 15+ years ago I brought up in a thread that off road race promoters should require racers to be licensed and move up the ranks in each class as they earn it. Similar to how NORBA did it for mountain bike racing when I was racing in the 90's. And it's currently done that way in other forms of racing. Other people have brought up that same idea many times when people talk about the TT drivers with money that just jump right into racing. There are always some of them that probably should have gotten some seat time in a couple lower classes first.

Last edited:

J Prich

Promoters have for sure given too many people access to "Win". Way too many classes because they keep giving people new classes because they are scared if they don't they will lose their entry. Its as simple as that.
Fish, if promoters said no to 1400/1450 and said run 7/7S/8 or kick rocks...would your experience and circumstances in the sport have led you where you are now, in your opinion?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Racers are to blame too.

Everyone lobbies to get their own snowflake class. Why on earth is there a normally aspirated utv class? 4 different class 7's?
Two different spec tts?

Just go racing
Correct. The racers are the ones who cry to the promoters when they build a car that doesn’t fit in another class or they can’t win in their current class, then the promoters give them their own class.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Fish, if promoters said no to 1400/1450 and said run 7/7S/8 or kick rocks...would your experience and circumstances in the sport have led you where you are now, in your opinion?
I would say run them in the sportsman truck class just like we had to do with SCORE back in the day. Score or BITD never has a 1400 class it was just sportsman truck class that was there from day 1. We never complained and we ran there.

QurtysLyn

Here's the link to the article. Insight: Off-road racing’s identity crisis

@brad inch mentioned the number of classes for SCORE and BITD but did I read it right that the Mint has 39 bike classes and 42 car classes (81 total)?

This subject comes up every couple years and it seems like each time it comes up there are even more classes than there were the last time it was brought up. I agree that all promoters should just get along and use the same class names but it will never happen for many reasons.

Somewhat related to this subject... 15+ years ago I brought up in a thread that off road race promoters should require racers to be licensed and move up the ranks in each class as they earn it. Similar to how NORBA did it for mountain bike racing when I was racing in the 90's. And it's currently done that way in other forms of racing. Other people have brought up that same idea many times when people talk about the TT drivers with money that just jump right into racing. There are always some of them that probably should have gotten some seat time in a couple lower classes first.
Until there is an overall sanctioning body for the rules, I can't see licensing happening.

The 81 classes at the Mint is a symptom of all this, as they just included rules for all of the existing classes in the other series. And made up some of their own on top of that.

J Prich

Getting orgs to standardize class rules across the board is probably a tall order, but calling them the same things at least should be a no brainer. Every class that is consistent across orgs should be called the same thing and be numbered the same. Shouldnt be that complicated.

QurtysLyn

Getting orgs to standardize class rules across the board is probably a tall order, but calling them the same things at least should be a no brainer. Every class that is consistent across orgs should be called the same thing and be numbered the same. Shouldnt be that complicated.
Trophy Truck is trademarked, so no one else can use it.

Class10DAN

i think its because they want to change they rules of a existing class but everybody is stingy so they make a new class and call it a day