50's on the street

Project1500

Reaction
50\'s on the street

I was looking through the vehicle code for california and it seems you can ride a 50cc (49cc) bike on the street under certain conditions. I know some people have done it and it seems legal but has anyone had any problems with cops for doing it?

What can't kill you will only make you stronger

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Re: 50\'s on the street

They are not part of that law because they are green stickered which means registered for off-road use only. That is why the people can ride scooters and other things with motors. You will get ticketed and the fifty can get impounded. It all depends on the officer. I know people who do it and I know people who have gotten in trouble for it.

deleted

----
Reaction

get it registered as a motorized bicycle, that is what i am doing with mine.

Matt Scaroni
SMD Motorsports
My Truck Jumps So Sick

Ryno

Reaction

Baja Designs had a 50 in the shop about 3 weeks ago that had a street legal kit on it, and it was going for plates the next day. They said the kit would be availible within 2 months, and it would register as a scooter.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

martininsocal

Reaction

I have a '69 Z50 that was originally a street registered bike. Came from teh factory with turn signals, brake lights, etc...Unfortunately, when I got it, most of that stuff had already been removed for offroad weight gain(I guess), but I would love to find the parts to get it back to street trim. Does anyone know the name of the company selling the repro 50's from Texas? Tiger something?

If your gonna go, go BIG

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction

People ride them in my 'hood all the time and there are tons of cops down there and no problems.

I can only lead you to water, I cannot force you to drink it.

Project1500

Reaction

Has anyone on here been pulled over and actually got there 50 impounded or were you written a citation?

I got introuble for riding my old yz 250 all over lake forest (stupid but fun at the time) with my buddy. Motorcycle cop rolled up on us when are bikes were off about 3 miles from his house. He said he could of impounded the bike but insead he gave us a ticket. I think it was around $150 something, went to court and they reduced it to $10 so I would think riding a 50 wouldnt be that bad if stopped or am I wrong?

What can't kill you will only make you stronger

khoolguy

Reaction

yesterday i got pulled over for riding my fiddy, the cop asked were I lived, luckily i was riding on my street, so he told me to go park in in the garage

Greg J.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

if they didnt have the pipes that make them sound like XR 650s nobody would get mad and call the cops!

Kris

khoolguy

Reaction

I always ride mine with the stock pipe. Whenever I ride with the Big Gun pipe i had couple people complain

Greg J.

tre5

Reaction

Me and my roommate both have 50's that we always ride out in front of our house, with the occasional trip to the gas station or mini mart. We have had the cops come by 4 or 5 times because of it. They cant do anything unless there is a complaint of noise after 8:00. As long as they are under 50cc they are in the same classification as a go ped. That means you dont have to have turn signals or lights or anything on them to make them legal. The only thing that a cop told me to look out for was going over 25 mph in a residential area, because he could ticket me for speeding. Thats the info I have from Arizona police, Cali could be different though.
Tre5