50's street legality....

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
50\'s street legality....

1. What is the legality to drive a xr50 on the street in California. Do I need a lightkit etc etc. ?

2. What type of license does it taketo ride one ? A friend is on a DUI and currently uses an electric scooter to get around while dealing with the suspense of the license. Can he drive a xr50 ?

3. What would be a could place to buy a new xr50 ?

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Re: 50\'s street legality....

You cannot ride them on the streets at all. They are green stickered which means they are off-road vehicles, some people ride them on the streets and have gotten lucky but a lot of people I know have had them impounded and ticketed..

empire231

Reaction

I think chaparral has them on sale for $888 this weekend during the sidewalk sale. I just might have to get me one.

PBR

Reaction

my friends and i have been doing our research on the 50 laws and it is really a grey area... in doing our r&d on it we have been pulled over by many cops now and have come to one conclusion, it depends on who the cop is!!! i got pulled over the other day on the way to the market and the cop said put a helmet on and your good to go... my buddy got pulled over at taco bell the other day and the cops said that as long as your not on the sidewalk and wearing a helmet you should be all good, it is kind of like a go-ped. if it is under 50cc's(xr50 is 49cc's) and the cop is cool it shouldn't be a problem. if you only ride durning the day you shouldn't need a light kit. and as far as a license goes, if it's under 50cc's you don't need a motorcycle license. if your boy has a dui i wouldn't mess with the po-po on an xr50.

i have the hook up on hondas, just let me know when you want it.

singlehanded

Reaction

I heard in order to have them street legal they must be registered that way when you bought it, probably need a friend to be working at the shop you bought it from in order to do that thou. Or else its up to the disgresion of the po-po to write you up or not.

portagee

Reaction

it's a real grey area, the problem is most officers don't know the ins and outs of the vehicle code(except chippies). especially with all the electric and gas scooters around. so its left up to the discretion of the individual officer. i would personally try to be low key about it...ie stay off the sidewalks, neighbor's lawn, wear a helmet etc...it might not go over as well in the city as it would in a more rural area. i'll try to find out what i can

desertratt

Reaction

you can ride it on the street if the posted speed limit is no more 35mph. you can ride in the bike lane but you must ware a helmet and and not sure on the licese. i had some people i meet who live in newport go through the vehical code book and look it all up

Clifford

Reaction

Has there been any updates to your inquiry? My friend and I are looking into doing what it takes to drive them on the street without getting harrassed. I'll provide a little info as to what I've found.

I had a link that explains most of the info but I don't have it in my sent folder. Maybe my buddy will see this and post it.

Motorcycles are seperated into 2 classifications; Motorcycles-150cc and up or Motor-driven cycles-150cc or less. Motor scooters, go-peds, and the like fall into a different category.

The concern regarding the 50's and there street legality is answered just as if it were a crotch rocket. You need all of the lighting equipment, i.e. headlamp, brakelight/taillamp, and turn signals. If you're not aware, there is a kit available that provides what you need. The other major item needed is your M1 or motorcycle endorsement. This is not terribly difficult to obtain at the Dmv. Fill out a form, pay 15 bucks, take the written test and driving portion and your good to go.....so long as you pass.

Is there any other stories or run-ins that someone may have had with law enforcement while riding on the street. My belief is the lack of knowledge the officer has about these and how they are classified, determines how it is handled.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction

no updates...I was asking for a friend rather then myself...

Ryno

Reaction

Klaus-

call Baja Designs. 760-560-2252. They have been going through trying to get a 50 street legal, and would know the specifics. Last time I was there (August), they were just getting the kit for street legal done. Alan Roach is the main man there.

Ryan