50th Mint 400?

Junior

Reaction
Marketing is allowed a bit of puffing but the race has only been run like 30 times. Do they think nobody would notice?

BCG1

Reaction
It only fools those who would pay to see it.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I was a bit confused on this myself. Especially with it being called “The 50th”. I could have seen something like 50th anniversary of the first Mint 400 or something like that but clearly this seems to be trying to play off all the hype of the real 50th Baja 1000 IMO.

mgobaja

Reaction
If the truth doesnt fit your agenda, then change the truth. Seems to be the case with this one

y2kbaja

Reaction
The first Mint was 50 years ago.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Correct, so then the 2018 event would be the 50th anniversary, not the 50th event
And is it really the 50th anniversary if it didn’t happen 49 times before? Hahahaha real tricky with this one!

y2kbaja

Reaction
So we need the Baja tshirts to say "50 years" like they say "1000 miles"

J Prich

Reaction
Getting the party started early! Standing by for the "its not the real Mint anyway" threads, followed by complaining about how it's not really a "400" either.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
Getting the party started early! Standing by for the "its not the real Mint anyway" threads, followed by complaining about how it's not really a "400" either.
Moapa is where it should be raced!!

J Prich

Reaction
Moapa is where it should be raced!!
How come no one ever argues that it doesn't count unless it's run to Beatty and back? I mean, that's the ORIGINAL Mint 400 right? Am I wrong in my understanding of history...that the first actual Mint race in 1968 ran towards Beatty and back?

Why do people claim that it's only the "real" Mint if it's a North Vegas course, in spite of the fact that the first race was actually to Beatty and back, and in spite of the fact that the original Mint was run numerous times in Sloan/Jean, like it is now?

I get the notion (and even agree) that the 'best" Mints were the ones on the North Vegas course, but it doesn't make sense to act like that's the only course that makes the Mint "real".

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
How come no one ever argues that it doesn't count unless it's run to Beatty and back? I mean, that's the ORIGINAL Mint 400 right? Am I wrong in my understanding of history...that the first actual Mint race in 1968 ran towards Beatty and back?

Why do people claim that it's only the "real" Mint if it's a North Vegas course, in spite of the fact that the first race was actually to Beatty and back, and in spite of the fact that the original Mint was run numerous times in Sloan/Jean, like it is now?

I get the notion (and even agree) that the 'best" Mints were the ones on the North Vegas course, but it doesn't make sense to act like that's the only course that makes the Mint "real".
I think the Moapa terrain is the best of all. The fireworks stand at the gas station kicks as$ too

ACME

Reaction
Seems 1990-2007 was either the Nissan 400 or no race...

Mint 400 - Wikipedia

It's like saying a couple married in '68 but divorced 10 years ago is having their 50th... More misinformation from the mainstream media

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
correct me if I'm wrong but there was also no Baja 1000 in 1974 due to the gas crisis...
True but it still equals 50 1000's even without the 1974 race. But you could argue that there haven't been 50 'Baja 1000's' since it was the NORRA 'Mexican 1000 Rally' before being dubbed the 'Baja' 1000. But that is splitting hairs.

...but IMO, let the 50th Mint thing go. If it gets more outside interest in our sport...great! My 2 pesos (at the current 19.12 peso/dollar exchange rate).

Last edited:

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Next year I’ll be having the 50th Fishgistics golf tournament. You’re all invited.